Parents Question about non-qualifier meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Jen1245

Proud Parent
Reaction score
This is our first season competing at Level 3. There are two non-qualifier meets that seem to be "Fun meets". The gym reluctantly says that they are optional but seem to frown on missing them. We have a wedding on one of the weekends and can not go. So, experienced parents what are your thoughts and feelings about these theme/fun meets? Thanks!

I agree... go to the wedding. If the meets aren't mandatory and can't even be used to qualify for State, they aren't very important.

The only caveat would be if your gym was hosting... then make sure your commitment to the team is covered.

Non-qualifier meets are just a way for new gymnasts and their parents to get used to the routine (ha!) of a meet. No flash photography. Performing in front of a crowd. Waiting your turn to perform. No vuvuzelas in the stands. Limited time to complete a routine.

While the experience is usually a great learning experience to gymnasts new to the competition world, there's nothing that says you are morally, ethically, or legally obligated to attend if you have an important event already planned. Now if you were just taking the day off to wash your hair....

First, go to the wedding, obviously.

As for non qualifiers, our gym has used them for good reasons.

• One, to allow a not yet of age gymnast perform her routine. (i.e. a 5 year old compete new L3).
  • Two, to score out of a level for the next season, but still be able to compete the previous level @ States.
  • Oh, and to have fun! One of ours is Hawaiian themed and includes hula dancing for the judges and wearing tropical beach accessories.

How do you know if a meet is qualifier or non-qualifier?

Ask your coach! In our state with Compulsories, the qualifier meets are specifically called qualifiers (as in "1st state qualifier, 2nd state qualifier and 3rd state qualifier). You can only qualify for State at those three qualifier. For optionals, you can qualify at ANY sanctioned meet--in state or out of state. But every state has different rules, so it's best to ask the coach, if you don't know :-)!

Thanks! In our state there are "Pre sectional" meets and there are regular meets, Invitational or Theme. Starting at level 4 there are "Sectionals", but on our gym's meet schedule it say "only if needed" next to the Sectionals. So, looks like you can qualify to State by going to the regular meets, and not necessarily to sectionals. Very confusing.
Sorry to hijack the thread, I was just curious.

Our schedule does specify and we will definitely be at all qualifiers. One coach matter of factly said they were optional but we still have tp pay coaches fees. We are in Florida by the way.

First, go to the wedding, obviously.

As for non qualifiers, our gym has used them for good reasons.

• One, to allow a not yet of age gymnast perform her routine. (i.e. a 5 year old compete new L3).
  • Two, to score out of a level for the next season, but still be able to compete the previous level @ States.
  • Oh, and to have fun! One of ours is Hawaiian themed and includes hula dancing for the judges and wearing tropical beach accessories.
Yes we will go to nieces wedding and will miss one fun meet. None of the fun meets are at our gym in fact they are about 5 hours away. So, it seems like they say "optional" but they are really not, ya know

Thank you all for the replies! We will go to our nieces wedding and not feel guilty for missing a "fun" meet. As for the other fun meet not sure, I know it's great experience, but it seems like it may just be a "showcase" type thing. Just don't want a negative attitude from our intense and sometimes judgy coach.
Ps my dd is 8, started gymnastics a year ago and this is her first comp season at the level 3, we are all so excited for her!

Non-qualifier meets are just a way for new gymnasts and their parents to get used to the routine (ha!) of a meet. No flash photography. Performing in front of a crowd. Waiting your turn to perform. No vuvuzelas in the stands.

smiley-laughing001.gif

Sadly there are some relatives that never learn the "no flash photography" rule.

To the OP: go to the wedding. Coach will get over it. Hopefully.

I guess you could even question the point of qualifying meets too:p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back