WAG Question for coaches and parents. Move-ups?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym doesn't have any mandatory repeat levels, thank goodness. Each child moves up at her own pace. Sometimes that means multiple years at one level. Sometimes that means multiple levels in a single year.

They also don't seem to make the decision about levels until as late as possible. Our first meet is in 3 weeks (level 6) and while dd has been training level 6 since after level 5 states last April, we didn't know for sure where she would compete until 1 week ago. They want to give the girls every opportunity to make the level. Last year some of her fellow 5's didn't have their kip by the first meet, but they still competed everything but bars. Over the season, they got their kips and did all 4 events. I like that they weren't held back to L4 (we don't compete until L5) for this one skill.

While our gym doesn't have official minimums to move up, I've noticed over the years that unless you consistently get around a 36 you repeat. My daughter was lvl 8 last year, came in 1st AA at states & regionals, and is still 50-50 moving to lvl 9. Moving up is about skills they have, not what they did, although all gymnasts are given the opportunity to train up on specific skills when they're solid, especially in the summer. Our gym's funny about some things though -- for example, while a level 9 could technically compete a Tsuk they strongly encourage the Yurchenko & only let you move up and do the Tsuk if you're amazing on all other events.

Your mileage may vary! It may be just how our gym is.

Okay to the OP..... Is it possible that your daughter misunderstood what the coach was saying about moving up? I have no idea how old she is but seeing that she is L4 i am guessing pretty young. I would definatly talk to the coach to see what was actually said and in what context.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News