WAG Region 4 XCEL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
I am so confused on Xcel. It all made sense to me until I started looking at the official rules for different regions. When will it all be the same? Fall 2013? My most dire question right now is about mobility. I have girls who have never competed USAG before and they are about Level 8. Are they allowed to start at Platinum? The following link says they need a certain score in Silver:

http://iowausag.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/2012-2013_region_4_xcel_general_rules_proposed-1.pdf

That would be awful. Someone please explain!

I would get in touch with your state director. Most have something in place to deal with exception cases, like your girls. If not, they would just have to quickly test out of the levels. Most of the time, they can do this in one meet, or you can bring in a judge to test out.

just curious - how did they get all the way to level 8 skills without being on team?

I just came in as the new head coach three months ago. They were under a different system called MAGA (Midwest Amateur Gymnastics Association). They competed in this system, which is VERY different from USAG. They were scored based on what skills they could do with no attention to execution. (I'm not sure if that's how MAGA usually is, but that's how this particular program was run, as recreational). So I ended up with girls who could do fulls, tsuks, bhs on beam, etc, but not know how to straighten their legs or do simple things like a split leap! So obviously, their skills are not always technically correct, but they can do them. I switched them to Xcel because I like USAG and I didn't feel like their current program was safe for them as gymnasts. I thought Xcel would be the best option (although I did end up with 6 girls who tried JO! What a challenge!).

WHEW! So in short, the kids want to compete at a high level but I don't know if they'd really be able to pass out of the lower levels because of their lack of dance and execution experience. Although let me tell you, they have come a LONGGGG way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back