Parents Regional Training Camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinmomma

Proud Parent
I did a few searches to see if this has been covered and I couldn't find anything, so forgive me if this is something that's come up.

I'm wondering if anyone in the lower compulsory levels has had their DD's go to the Regional Training camps (weekend event) and gotten a great deal out of it. We just found out that the camp DD would go to is scheduled on a date when we have a family trip. If she's going to get a huge amount out of it, I'll keep her home, but I don't want to have her sacrifice being on the family camping trip if she'd be better off doing a few private lessons with her coach that I can schedule any time.

Thoughts?

Regional compulsory camps? Really? Never heard of them. Why on earth would you give up a family trip for what is most likely a sinkhole for money? Now, if it is a camp for upper optionals, maybe; but there would be no value to a compulsory gymnast going to an upper optional camp. When dd was a compulsory, the coach said that all of these summer camps were a waste of money for the actual gymnastics part of it; as a summer camp it was fine, but don't expect to learn a lot of useful gymnastics from it.

Our region just has optional clinic. There is a state compulsory camp I think, but I'm not sure if that's going to be yearly or they did it this year because of the new routines.

I would say it's probably okay to miss. I'm sure it would be fun if she went, but I assume it's mostly for the coached to learn new drills and such. In that case, she will benefit from it either way. However, if they're teaching the compulsory routines heavily , then she might be behind if everyone else learns most of it. This could probably be easily solved with a private or two though.

Hmm, not enough information on the site to tell. I would just tell the coaches you have a trip planned and if it would put her behind on learning the routines, could you schedule some privates when you get back. They'll most likely say it's fine.

I would not skip your family trip.

My dd went to the So Cal one in 2012, which was held at AGA. She was 9 and had competed old level 4 the previous season. She enjoyed the novelty of it and they do try to make the girls feel special. She still wears the t-shirt.

It was not at all helpful skill-wise. It is only a half-day each day. The main purpose of the camp is to educate the coaches who come. The girls seemed to be there mostly to try out/demonstrate different drills. When we went, each gym needed a minimum number of girls to attend. There did not seem to be a maximum number. Aanyone from from dd's gym who wanted to go could go.

DD's gym had good attendance in 2012, but could not get the minimum number of girls in 2013. DD did want to go again. Most parens felt it wasn't worth the hour + drive.

It's so disappointing to read this thread. My DD was excited about attending the region 5 Hot Shots and/or Super Camp next fall but I guess if it is more about the coaches getting training then I'll just save my money.

I think it depends on the region and the level. I honestly don't see the necessity for compulsory level gymnasts, but I think it's great for optionals to get access to different coaches and focus on specific skills. There are some very good gyms attending our regional camp and I think meeting other girls in the region (and their coaches) can only be a positive. It's like going to any summer camp - if they learn just one new thing, then I think it's a win.

Oh I must have missed the part that said compulsory camp. I just read the regional training camp and assumed that they were all the same from region to region. I'm still so ignorant about so many aspects of the sport!

My DD has been to region 5 Super Camp 3 times. It is a lot of fun. They meet others girls that they see at meets throughout the year. They get to train with different coaches. I think it's a great experience.

She never went to a compulsory weekend camp, but she did do 1 day clinics. I would not miss a family trip for compulsory camps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back