Gymnasts Retired Gymnast Wanting to Stay Strong

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a former gymnast (L8, training L9) who recently retired to further pursue diving (Did both last year, was busy, was going to miss too much gym to continue at the level I wanted to and so retired). One of the things I loved about gymnastics was being strong and fit all the time. Diving in the capacity I am able to do it in is not nearly as intense as far as conditioning goes and so I was wondering what other former gymnasts do to stay strong (or what others would recommend). I was thinking about a pull up bar? I always liked bar conditioning and it‘s efficient. Thanks!

Just do gymnastics conditioning. the same stuff you used to do at the gym. But, you will never truly be as strong and fit in some ways as you used to be. Because the endurance and muscles you use just to go to practice and run routines and everything can’t always be worked during conditioning. You build those muscles by doing gymnastics and going to practice. But you can get pretty close by doing gymnastics conditioning.

I've been retired for 14 years and love having a pull up bar at home!

Also, Dylan Werner has a program called true strength evolution through Alo moves that I absolutely adore. They used to have a different system where you could just buy certain packages (and I actually filmed a few classes with them so I happened to get this one for free) but now it's a paid monthly subscription. They do usually have a pretty good deal for the new year though.

Thank you for the suggestions! CrossFit does seem like a good fit, however, I’m not sure I have the time as of right now, but I will definitely look into it once diving ends in February. A strength program also seems like a good place to start as I think one of my problems is simply not knowing where to start, because I’ve always had a coach’s direction as to what I should do.

Please be very careful with Crossfit. It has a huge injury potential and is not ideal from a GPP perspective. I would stick to your gymnastics conditioning or add some olympic weightlifting (not for endurance like in many CF-Wods, just for strength and speed). Make sure you get a coach who knows what she/he is doing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back