WAG RO and BHS in same beam routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
Can you do say a BWO/BHS series and then a RO/BT dismount in a level 6 or 7 beam routine? Then for the jumps a split leap split/ jump combo or is that too many "b" elements? All in the same routine. Just wondering not saying that is the plan or anything DD was just asking.

We had level 7s do those exact combinations last year, so I'm certain they're allowed. Now whether it makes sense to throw in that many B's - that's a question about how well they perform them. Not sure about new 6, but I don't remember specific limits on the maximum number of Bs.

I thought it is 5 As and 2 Bs but I believe you can substitute Bs for As. DD says a one of the girls did it last year but she wasn't sure. It does seem like a lot of B skills. DD is working on all of those skills but not sure if it is for this year or next year or some combination :)

You need 5 As and 2 Bs for level 7. Additional Bs can replace As. Many L7s do the skills you mentioned.

My daughter did this combination in her L7 routine this year. Her coach put in the extra B in case she had a goof .... There were still sufficient skills to meet the requirements. She had an extra B on floor as well - same reason.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I wasn't sure you could replace that many As with Bs. It will be interesting to see what she ends up doing come Dec.

She should do everthing she believes she's capable of that can compliment her routine, no matter how many 'B' elements that may be. It may be the best thing for her, as this sport doesn't get easier for kids that try to craft routines that meet just the minimums.

Being new to the whole optional thing I am pretty sure that is what our gym does. They try to put in the highest level stuff they can do well. She likes the RO and LOVES the back tuck dismount so I can easily see those two skills as her dismount. Lots of time to get the skills down especially on beam. It is her best event, not necessarily her favorite but her best.

5 As and 1B for level 6 5As and 2 Bs plus a couple of allowable C skills on bars for both levels.

Now my question is can you replace all of the As with Bs is it allowed?

Yes it's allowed. And it's not uncommon to see a routine with, say, 5 B's and 2 A's at level 7 (BHS/BHS series, full turn, split jump/split jump, round-off/back tuck). You could do 7 B's, but it's not common to see a B dismount at level 7 (like a layout full) and VERY uncommon to see level 7's attempt B turns.

Yes it's allowed. And it's not uncommon to see a routine with, say, 5 B's and 2 A's at level 7 (BHS/BHS series, full turn, split jump/split jump, round-off/back tuck). You could do 7 B's, but it's not common to see a B dismount at level 7 (like a layout full) and VERY uncommon to see level 7's attempt B turns.

Very interesting! When I first read the requirements I was thinking that was the MOST they could do not the minimum. I can't wait to see what everyone ends up doing. DD can do a 1.5 turn on beam about 50% right now but has no plans to do it yet.

I was also thinking at first that DD would only have to find 1 B, how hard could that be etc. But I realize that she'd better have at least 2 in there, preferably more. Especially on beam, where she is likely to screw something up enough to not get credit for it. At least if you have 3 Bs in the routine, there's room for messing 2 of them up and still getting your B credit! DD's coach has been actively searching for anything that meets a B and having the girls try things out so she can see who will be able to do what.

DD's had these Bs: pike hold, BWO BHS, split 1/4. There are quite a few choices depending on their strengths.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back