WAG rope climb questions

• Thread starter Thread starter katlinchen
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
K

katlinchen

I have some questions concerning rope climbs for gymnasts!

1) Why are they important? No event in WAG seems to have similar movements than rope climbs! Pull-Ups would make more sense to me...

2) What are the differences between rope climbs and pull-ups? I can climb a 5m rope in straddle but can only do 5 deadhang pull-ups.

3) Is it harder to climb in straddle or pike? And why?

4) How many metres of rope should a well conditioned level8 gymnast be able to climb?

Thank you!

1. rope uses core to the fullest and is good for general conditioning.. and rope is bars. you're pulling your own body weight up against gravity. that's the point...against gravity.

2. very little with the exception of the grip. you probably can do what you do, or not do, because of the way you grip a rope versus the rail.

3. i think you mean "L" position? straddle is to obliques in what legs together is to quads. both are equally as difficult and both positions should be done. and left and right of the rope.

4. 20 feet

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Rope climbs develop grip strength better than doing pullups on a bar.

2) My guess is your hand grabs on the rope are very small instead of big hand grabs. So it's like you are doing more partial ROM pullups than full ROM pullups if you understand. Probably also takes longer than someone who can do big grabs with each hand

1. rope uses core to the fullest and is good for general conditioning.. and rope is bars. you're pulling your own body weight up against gravity. that's the point...against gravity.

2. very little with the exception of the grip. you probably can do what you do, or not do, because of the way you grip a rope versus the rail.

3. i think you mean "L" position? straddle is to obliques in what legs together is to quads. both are equally as difficult and both positions should be done. and left and right of the rope.

4. 20 feet

Thank you very much for this great answers dunno!

1) Rope climbs develop grip strength better than doing pullups on a bar.

2) My guess is your hand grabs on the rope are very small instead of big hand grabs. So it's like you are doing more partial ROM pullups than full ROM pullups if you understand. Probably also takes longer than someone who can do big grabs with each hand

Yes I take quite small steps! Does it matter if I take smaller or bigger ones? Is someone who takes big steps "better" or does it only count to get up the rope?

Make sure when they climb that they do it 'hand over hand.' Most kids will use their predominate hand to pull with, and then slide the other behind it, and then repeat all the way up and down the rope, which of coarse mainly strengthens only the one arm.

It is definitely different that pull ups - DD just moved to my boys gym - her old gym was a no rope climb (and no wrist support and no lots of things) gym, and she and her L9 friend (she's L8) were humiliated (by her brothers only) when despite being the strongest at the old gym they CAN''T climb the rope! (Of course if they weren't goofing off they wouldn't have had too!)..

She's working on it now - can't have the boys thinking they are tougher!

Yes I take quite small steps! Does it matter if I take smaller or bigger ones? Is someone who takes big steps "better" or does it only count to get up the rope?

Bigger steps generally mean the athlete is stronger. Technically it counts if you get up the rope to the top and if you are using a hand over hand technique. Ideally, as few as grabs as possible.

Not being able to climb a rope at L8/9 is a shocker but if they are capable of a lot of pullups, then their grip will just need to catch up.

Not being able to climb a rope at L8/9 is a shocker but if they are capable of a lot of pullups, then their grip will just need to catch up.
I agree - it floored me - she's super strong in other ways, great cast handstands, tumbles forever and high, I think its a practice thing - she also couldn't do a limber the first week at the new gym - hadn't even done them - but that was fixed in 2 practices -

I told her just don't get in trouble and you won't have to do them!

I told her just don't get in trouble and you won't have to do them!

Meh, even our L8-10 who weren't that strong, could do legless. Mind you they were teens of young adult size.

By Cast Handstands, I hope you mean straight body cast handstands because straddle cast handstands don't require that much strength.

Tell her to climb some rope for me.

Meh, even our L8-10 who weren't that strong, could do legless. Mind you they were teens of young adult size.

By Cast Handstands, I hope you mean straight body cast handstands because straddle cast handstands don't require that much strength.

Tell her to climb some rope for me.
Now see, once again glad she's moved to new gym - she did train and succeed at straight body cast handstands but does straddle now because its consistent to controlled vertical...old gym spent oddles of time telling her how strong she was compared to everyone else there....but I suspect that was relative strength. She's just turned 12 and 4 ft 7....and is getting stronger by the practice now that she's adjusting to the new gym....I will pass on the rope climb suggestion - she does need to "keep up" with her 14 year old brother who started gym late and is "knocking on her door" skills-wise - fun to see them both doing dueling layout fulls, tsuks, and giants - her's are prettier but his are a mile higher! - probably all his rope climbs!!!

It's easier to do giants on a Men's bar as the bar bends more and you don't have to worry about the low bar affecting the tap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back