Round-off BHS frustration...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At our gym we have a gymnast who has recently lost her round-off bhs. She can still do a round-off correctly and has a beautiful standing bhs but won't connect the skills.

Recently she has been scheduling private lessons with me and I am stuck. I have tried everything that I can think of. Spotting, relearning the skill, a variety of drills, starting with no connection and then slowly working towards a full connection. She does the drills and basic steps almost perfectly--but as soon as we try to connect the skill she freezes on me.

any ideas?

Have you tried round off connected to a jump back onto a porta pit? Or a handstand snap down off a spring board connected to a jump back? Maybe you have to break the skills down even more.

Have you tried round off connected to a jump back onto a porta pit? Or a handstand snap down off a spring board connected to a jump back? Maybe you have to break the skills down even more.

Yes, we did both of these numerous times. The RO jump back to a porta pit is her favorite. I started by re-teaching the ro, and re-teaching a bhs, and have slowly been working drills to put the two together. She won't even connect it on the tumble track into the pit mat. I am trying my best to be patient. She has only been working with me for a couple weeks-- but before this she was working with her normal coach.

I'm hoping that with time, positive encouragement and repetition of drills the skill will come back. I just hope that its enough to help her work through the fear.

Cartwheel step in back limber. Cartwheel step in jump back. Cartwheel step in jump back to handstand (stop in handstand). Standing roundoff (no run) jump back to handstand.

This girl is new to you, and has been working with somebody else. Could it be she considers you a more "advanced" coach, but doesn't see herself as being able to "survive" the pace of learning you might have in mind for her.

It all seem so psychological as no remedies, and you've tried a lot, seem to be working. I'd stop trying to solve the problem, and start asking "no fault" questions where she feels it's ok to let you know her current setting is intimidating her. If that doesn't check out, you'll have only wasted about 5 minutes....

You know the saying.....You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it......;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back