Rules on headscarves??? Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Just wondering if anyone knew if there were any rules in the uk about wearing headscarves while competing.

I have a girl who wants to enter the BUCS (universities) competition next month which is run by BG. She will be competing BUCS 5 category which is novice, the compulsory routine has no body landings or somersaults except seat landing.

I'm just really unsure and don't want to tell her she can wear it if she can't. In training we let her wear her normal scarf but with all the pins removed, the only other girl I have seen at a competition wore a specially made tight head cover type thing in the same fabric as her leo. My gymnast can't wear something like that as she said she needs to cover her neck as well as her hair. Any help GREATLY appreciated!

I would contact BG direct . I know they make allowances for leg coverings, but they have to be the same material as the leo.

@Iwannabemargo thank you, I think I will call them tomorrow.

To add another spanner to the works the BG code of points says no to head coverings, but at all the comps I've been to they have been allowed, and the organiser of this comp contacted me and said that they ARE allowed, but the official rules for BUCS says that leggings/leg coverings aren't allowed, while the BG code says they are!

The whole clothing debate really annoys me. Men are allowed to cover their legs, why the hell can't we?!

Bg rules in their website state no head coverings. Busa may be different though, I'd also contact them, and the organisers of the next comp.

As to your gymnast, I'd say to her your trying your best to clarify, and find if/what she'd be allowed to compete in. The best plan might be for her to go to the comp, and ask on the day, if she's ok with maybe not competing if they refuse (or ask if she can compete hc?)

Eta. Ohh I'm sure I've seen a burkini by zoggs that might be acceptable-hang on....

Like this? It's a zoggs lynton modesty suit apparently..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 104
@Faith, sorry what do you mean 'compete hc'?

I think she would be really disappointed if she wasn't allowed to compete based on her faith and she is not the type to let that sort of thing go down quietly and without a fight - something I'd really rather not put her though or have to deal with myself on competition day.

The BG equality policy and the code of points contradict each other pretty directly on this point. I have had confirmation that headscarves are allowed, (and although BG says not on their website, at all the regional comps I've been to, there has been at least 1 girl wearing a specially made head covering in the same fabric as her leo) but I'm now being told that she won't be allowed to cover her legs, which IS named as being acceptable on the BG website. They need to get some consistency!

I would think they would let her compete, after all it's only novice, and it's probably not worth the hassle for BG/BUSA if there's any subsequent publicity.

For this comp I'd try to get written permission from BG or the comp organisers, that you can wave if anyone objects.

"HC" just means she can perform and have her routine judged, but won't be given an "official" placement as she isn't technically competing if she doesn't meet all the BG rules. It's a french abbreviation but I cba to go look up the correct spelling!

Ah ok, idk if they would allow that but I guess it's worth a go if they refuse to let her wear them, it's not like it's for safety.

I'm trying to get in some kind of 'official' contact with the organiser - I only had confirmation about the headscarf thing through someone else on Facebook who was apparently sitting next to him. The BUCS website is very good at not giving you contact details for anyone!

Also worth mentioning that it is most probably discrimination if they refuse without justification (and the only justification could be hygiene or safety).

@Uglybetty that link was SUPER helpful and I have passed it on to her - we looked at sport hijab but they were so expensive and those look very similar but much cheaper.

After some - ahem - heated debate with the organiser I have been told that she will be allowed to wear leggings provided that I request permission in advance and it is not for reasons of 'fashion' but truly because of her faith.

While this is the result I was hoping for, I'm still irked at the outcome - there is no *equality* in this. The BG code of points states that anyone can wear 'tights' in competition. To me, sport tights, like running tights, are the same as leggings (without feet) the organiser got pedantic about this insisting that the BG code says nothing about LEGGINGS, only about tights.

If Muslim girls are allowed to cover their legs in competition, so should any other girl who wants to, be it for fashion, (and please don't tell me that gymnastics doesn't involve fashion, we don't drool over and pay ridiculous sums of money for those leotards for nothing) self confidence, disfigurement, faith, modesty, or any other reason. And she shouldn't have to produce 'proof' or give any reason at all. I'm so mad about this, I'm tempted to make a formal complaint to BG about their not so equal equality policy.

/endrant!

It does seem somewhat contradictory to have to had to jump through so many hoops over leggings if 'tights' are allowed. Are there limitations to why BG allows tights or can anyone wear them without prior permission? I've yet to see anyone compete in any leg coverings.

In the code of points for tramp they say that anyone can wear tights, no permission needed, as long as they match the Leo. I don't know many coaches that would allow anyone except a first timer at a training session to jump in actual tights that cover the foot, because they aren't as thick as socks and it could be a safety issue. I interpreted the rule about 'tights' as meaning leggings, as they are arguably the same thing.

The rules for this specific comp, despite it being a BG comp, state no leggings or track suit bottoms, and the organiser claimed that neither the BG code nor the comp rules addressed this subject, when both actually seemed to to me... One said you can, and one said you can't!

I would go ahead and take the one that says you can and wait for someone to challange you. And then approach them with your "I am going to make a big fuss about this" face on if they do. Keep us updated

Thanks @Iwannabemargo . I'm going to do what they are asking to ensure that she is sorted on the day, but I'm not happy about it. I told her that we have to request this permission as I have to find some way of 'proving' that she is Muslim and she asked if she will be the only one and if people are going to be looking at her because of it - if she will be, she said she would rather not compete. It saddens me because she was really excited about doing this comp.

I'm also concerned that some of the other girls might come to me and say 'I don't feel comfortable etc, can I wear leggings too?' and I will have to say that they cant because they are the wrong religion. I'm really upset that the governing body for the sport I love, which I am a member of and associate myself with, have such a skewed idea of what 'equality' means.

I know it would be incredibly childish, but I'm very tempted to turn up to this comp in boys kit and longs. If they challenge me, I can tell them I'm transgender.

I know I've asked this before but can you get your SU involved? Or there must be a muslim students society of some sort? Approach them and ask them for support, even to come on the day…

This is a fairly big thing, and it's a good platform to challenge on, it's "only" student novice, so it's not as if she has a lifetime of training to lose.

When I was student trampolining the dress code was very relaxed, for all the reasons you state. Leotards were only compulsory if you were advanced and chosen to represent your region at a british champs, for example, where it was all more serious and proper judges.

I would definitely write/email BG and ask them for written clarification. It would be good to set a precedent for future students. I am all for more muslim girls competing in sport, in general and particularly in gym/tramp :))

I'm not sure how interested the SU would be, but I suppose it's worth an email. This girl is on committee for the Islamic Society so I'm not sure how keen I am to get them involved - I feel like this could potentially get uglier and I would really rather shield her from that if I can. The guy I spoke to who said that I had to request formal permission from him took his rules from BGSA Schools, but while they are ridiculous and not at all equal for all (only allowed if you can 'prove' it, not allowed to 'satisfy the whims of fashion') even they do not say that formal permission must be sought.

I have just spent almost 20 minutes calling every department at BG that could possibly have an interest in this but none answered. I'm not sure that I want to go back to the comp organiser directly as I really need him on my side and I don't want to anger him - he has already been a bit short with me over the difference between tights and leggings!

The rules on clothing for other Uni comps have been super relaxed, this is more formal because it's a BG comp so it actually counts, not like other uni comps which are organised by the unis themselves and really just for fun. Novices don't have to wear leotards though, even at BUCS.

Hi, you have probably already come across this, but in the 2014 Men's competition handbook for BG it says that all requests for clothing modification on religious grounds have to be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance, using the official BG clothing modification request form, to allow time for consideration of this application and the potential health and safety implications.
Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back