WAG Running, weights, and age

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is 7.5 and level 4. She is small and light, but very flexible. She also has great upper body strength but struggles with the power for vault and tumbling. She has been asking to run and to use weights to strengthen her legs at home. I have tried looking up information but it’s so confusing to find an answer. Basically, would weighted leg exercises and/or running even help? I am inclined to let her run, since surely it can’t hurt with vault and floor? But as for weights, do they even help for younger kids? Or would they cause more potential for injury?? is it just a “wait and see” if she gets stronger kind of situation? ( no pun intended ). I’ll take any suggestions to help her!!!

I think running is always a good idea for any age and we do lots of it. Just make sure they have a good pair of designated running shoes and then knock yourself out. We use lots of weights, but that is a coaching decision in my opinion. I typically wouldn't let a child of your age and build use them at this point as I can see more harm than good arising from them. Vault and tumbling can take a while for the little ones, but don't worry she'll get there. :)

I think running would be great. Maybe incorporate some hills in whatever route she does. Biking is also great. I remember a coach telling me when DD was little that it was a good idea to not get wrapped up too much in worrying about specific strength training outside of the gym at that age. Just doing normal "kid stuff" like riding bikes, running around, playing tag, climbing trees all were fantastic for building strength.

She should be doing lots of little games and activites with other kids her age to improve strength and speed, jumping and having fun. Think tag or running up and rolling down hills and the like. That is more than enough for age 7. Weights are not advisable for any 7 year old ever. Distance running is a fun thing to do for some kids but will not make her legs "stronger" or improve her "oomp" for vault and floor. Running with weights is not advisable for anyone ever unless you wish to destroy your joints.

I think running would be great. Maybe incorporate some hills in whatever route she does. Biking is also great. I remember a coach telling me when DD was little that it was a good idea to not get wrapped up too much in worrying about specific strength training outside of the gym at that age. Just doing normal "kid stuff" like riding bikes, running around, playing tag, climbing trees all were fantastic for building strength.
She should be doing lots of little games and activites with other kids her age to improve strength and speed, jumping and having fun. Think tag or running up and rolling down hills and the like. That is more than enough for age 7. Weights are not advisable for any 7 year old ever. Distance running is a fun thing to do for some kids but will not make her legs "stronger" or improve her "oomp" for vault and floor. Running with weights is not advisable for anyone ever unless you wish to destroy your joints.
I would never let her run with weights, even though she told me some of the slightly older girls do on her team. She said there are a couple 8 year olds who train every day running with weights or climbing rope with weights when they aren’t at practice. And considering they do 5 day of 3 hours a week … I can’t even imagine

Reactions: cmg
We start weight lifting with young optionals around age 12 or so... depending on strength and build. Around 6th or 7th grade.

Sometimes an occasional 5th grader... but this is more just for technique building and so they can feel a part of the group. We have a JR bar and fake PVC technique bars that the 11/12 year olds can use. Like this...

This bar is lighter than their backpacks at school sometimes... which is a problem.

As a track and field athlete please don't run with dumbbells, even if they are only a couple of pounds. Running with weights creates a very stiff-arm movement when running. When you are running your arms should work with your stride, not against it which tends to happen when you run with weights. The key to good arm movement when running is going forward and back in a straight line, not crossing over the body thus going against forward movement. I cringe when I see a collage vaulter run to the vault with terrible arm form running towards the table. I have seen completely straight stiff arms, and also arms that totally go side to side to get to the vault. Totally counter intuitive to sprinting fast and powerfully.

I also agree that you should not lift actual weights as a 7-year-old. There are plenty of body weight exercises or resistance (using bands) training that younger gymnasts can do without any side effects. Good old-fashioned push up and pull ups, which most gyms do all the time, are perfect.

As a track and field athlete please don't run with dumbbells, even if they are only a couple of pounds. Running with weights creates a very stiff-arm movement when running. When you are running your arms should work with your stride, not against it which tends to happen when you run with weights. The key to good arm movement when running is going forward and back in a straight line, not crossing over the body thus going against forward movement. I cringe when I see a collage vaulter run to the vault with terrible arm form running towards the table. I have seen completely straight stiff arms, and also arms that totally go side to side to get to the vault. Totally counter intuitive to sprinting fast and powerfully.
While i totally agree with this, I think the OP meant weights on the feet rather than holding them..

.The key to good arm movement when running is going forward and back in a straight line, not crossing over the body thus going against forward movement.
This got me curious though.. if you look at Simone's run, its very noticeable that she crosses her arms instead of in a straight line, but has a really powerful vault...

I get that, but I see a lot of people running with weights in their hands thinking it is helping...and I don't think that it does.

What do you mean... it's how we get those arms fully straight during the run... haha!

200.gif

This got me curious though.. if you look at Simone's run, its very noticeable that she crosses her arms instead of in a straight line, but has a really powerful vault...

That is very interesting to me. I am not a gymnast, just a mom, but ran competitively and was often told I cross too. It never slowed me down, and I remained competitive. I wonder how big of a difference it makes?

I cringe when I see a collage vaulter run to the vault with terrible arm form running towards the table. I have seen completely straight stiff arms, and also arms that totally go side to side to get to the vault. Totally counter intuitive to sprinting fast and powerfully.

There are plenty of gymnasts out there that are able to still succeed based on sheer talent compensating for poor/less desirable technique. When it's just inefficient technique it's annoying to see potential limited, but when it leads to injury it's upsetting.

There are plenty of gymnasts out there that are able to still succeed based on sheer talent compensating for poor/less desirable technique. When it's just inefficient technique it's annoying to see potential limited, but when it leads to injury it's upsetting.
I agree many have seemed to accommodate their form and it doesn't affect their vault. But then what if they had great form too? You never know. Running form for sprinters is very important, when tenth of seconds makes a huge difference. Distance runners not as much but better form would help. For gymnasts well it is a sprint but the whole idea is to generate enough speed and power to get over the vault. So, I am guessing that perfect form is not as crucial. Gymnastics coaches would have to weigh in at this point since I know nothing about gymnastics.

For Roundoff entry vaults gymnasts rarely run at 100% anyway so it isn’t really an issue. Tsuk and Handspring entry vaults it is more relevant.

Vault is really not a sprint as one would do in track. The faster the person... the further it typically takes them to get to full speed. Slower people can get to full speed in shorter distances. Your average L10 won't be able to get to full speed without at least twice the run.

For example... an athlete that is doing a Tsuk and starting all the way back around 82 ft. will only run 70 ft. or less as they hurdle from 10 ft away from where they hit the board and the board is not set at zero. 70 ft. is about 21 meters... it's going to take twice that to get to full speed.

A yurchenko vaulter is going to hurdle from around 25 ft. This means they will only run a little over 60 ft. if they are all the way back. Again... no way to make it to full speed.

Due to the above... the lack of track knowledge in gymnastics... the fact that the arms move in a specific way out of the run into the next movement (like a round off)... and the fact that they are running into something (vault table)... gymnasts just kind of develop what is known as a "gymnast run".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back