score sheets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

clrmom

Proud Parent
My dd just had her first meet today (level 2 aau) and I had a couple questions from some of you that are more experienced at this.

Let me start off by saying I though my dd and her team did great for their first time competing and they all really seemed to enjoy themselves.:)

Now, my first question is whether or not after a meet (as in...sometime later than the day of the meet) do the parents get to see what their child's deductions were? I am not thinking any scores were wrong but I am just curious about a couple of things based on what I saw other girls from other teams doing.

My second question is about deductions. I wanted to know if ... for example... on bars a girl needs a spot but the coach lets them try it on their own first. Then the girls falls (doesn't make it, like in a back hip circle), and does the element again with a spot, do they receive two deductions? One for the fall and one for the spot?

Just curious. I know the coach will probably use what she sees to guide their practices before their next meet but I like to understand what I am watching while I am there.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I can't imagine that at this level that the coach would be reviewing deductions with the parents after each meet...I think they would keep working on things from a coaching perspective but to review every deduction would be quite tedious....I was never told of any specific deductions from a meet until my daughter reached Level 8...

That is what I figured. Like I said, I was mainly just curious. I know that at this level it is more about the experience than what your scores are. While watching, I noticed some judges really having a discussion about my dd (or other girls) before posting the score (and a couple of times it seemed to take longer) so I think I was just curious what they put on those score sheets.

Thanks.

I just wanted to add that even at L4, 5 and 6 we, as parents, were never notified by our gym exactly where the deductions were given!!!

Not here either, though I am not sure how a parnet knowing the deductions will help a gymnast. It's not like you are going to tell your kid what she needs to fix!

We rarely even see results at our gym.

Not here either, though I am not sure how a parnet knowing the deductions will help a gymnast. It's not like you are going to tell your kid what she needs to fix!

We rarely even see results at our gym.

No, of course not, that is the coaches job. My curiosity was totally self-serving. I just wanted to understand better what I was watching. My son plays trombone and when he has assessments by a judge, we receive a copy of the judging sheet (actually he does, and then gives it to us) It just helps you understand their score better.

That was my thought with gymnastics. Just wanted to understand how she did.
However, I can tell from these responses that it isn't something that is done. Which is fine! It was still a lot of fun watching.:)

A good way to learn what the routines should look like is to go on youtube and look for the high scoring routines, that way you can see what judges are looking for. Things do sometimes very from region to region, but basically a great routine will look the same.

Also the way judges keep score with a special kind of shothand would probably mean most parents couldn't understand it anyway!

There is no official juding sheet on each gymnast. The judges on each event will jot down in a very strange shorthand about each girl in their notebook. They then write a score next to the "comments" and move on. The head judge does use his/her notebook to verify the score sheet usually kept by a volunteer is correct. They do not use gymnast's names---each girl is assigned a competitor number for the meet, so the judge writes that number in their notebook, then comments and then a score. A coach can certainly speak with the judges about the girls in general(this is what is usually done) or a specific girl to get feedback on the routine---good and bad.

The only official sheets printed at the end of a meet are the score sheets which will give the socres for each girl on each event competed. Your coaches should all get copies of these.

Hope that explains how a gym meet is judged(the short version!)

In my state, there is a fantastic judge who does a parent's clinic. I attended it once and it really helped me understand the sport better.

It isn't intended to put parents in a position to coach their kids Instead, it just helps parents understand what they are looking at when they attend their kids meets. Imagine watching a football game and not understanding the rules. How boring is that (even if your kid is playing)? There were many little things this judge pointed out. For example, with the L5 and 6 bar routines, she went through just how many points were lost if your child didn't hit her cast to the correct angle.

The best part for me was seeing how much this judge really liked the girls and gymnastics. At one point she showed a video of a child who got a low score and another parent asked “was that child moved up to competition to quickly?â€￾ The judge replied “no, she's just young and learning. That's what compulsories are about...â€￾

I guess I'd always had a secret fear that the judges secretly rolled their eyes at some of these routines, but after meeting her, it was clear to me that wasn't the case.

If someone does a clinic like this in your state, I highly recommend attending.

One more thing...

If judges are conferring for a long time at the beginning of a season, it is very possible that one judge is less experienced and they are trying to callibrate.

Sometimes if my coach knows the judge, she'll talk to her after the meet to see what she thought of our routines. Even now, my team isn't even allowed to look at our scores until after awards. It started in level four, when our coach said it might ruin the rest of the meet for us mentally if we saw that we had a bad score. And it kind of stayed with us... At meets, if someone starts to turn to see her score, we slide our hands over her eyes! :p So, to answer the first question, even now, in level 9, we hardly get told the actual deductions. Our coach just tells us what she thinks we can improve on. Nothing that actually comes from the judge themself.

Thanks everyone for all your help! You guys did a great job educating me!

Pickle's mom: the parent clinic you talked about sounded great. I will have to keep my ears open and see if I hear of one.

My son did do competitive gymnastics before but it has been 4 years since he quit and I am finding women's gymnastics to be quite different. I like being informed so I appreciate all your insights.

Coaches never share specific deductions but I have asked at the next practice about a score if I thought it was really low and I didn't see anything really wrong. Only for my own info and the coach usually is vey open if asked.

but really what I have found is at L4 your clueless about everything its usually your first year at any of this and by the end of L4 you finally get it.

L5 & L6 I got really good at spotting the mistakes where deductions were made and could get within a tenth of a point of the score given. (unless there was a really hard or really easy judge). Now at L7 I'm clueless again LOL. With all different routines it's hard to know what is suppoed to be there and what is a mistake. I'm sure by the end of the season I'll figure it out again. But Vault -- Sheesh I never figured that one out all the vaults look the same unless they balked or fell on their butts.

Interesting Topic! It would be great if we could give score sheets especially in Compulsory levels. However, we have to be fast!!!!! so you are not there for 8 hours... I like What the Men Judges do at least at Region III championships they give a general report which is posted on website. this is an Example of last years:

Horizontal Bar Report

General Observations
Over the past several years, I have seen significant improvement in Region III on High Bar. The coaches are learning how to construct optional routines without unnecessary skills, and the gymnasts are performing skills with much better execution. Keep up the good work!

Level 6
The most common deduction with the level 6's were on the swing half turn and the kip. The swing half turn must be executed with the gymnast's toes leading as well as with a hollow body throughout. Although a stop is allowed in the kip to support, the arms must stay straight. Forty-six routines had both of the bonus giants and started at either a 15.6 or 15.7. The majority of the gymnasts scored in between a 13.5 and 14.5.

I have three Gymnast and I very much know the Women's deductions as I am a Judge. Let me just say You really don't want to know these it is very hard to watch your child and not evaluate them. Trust me Ignorance is truly Bliss in this case! The conference is when one judge is outside of the allowable range of scores. I think also that the coaches probably don't want parents to know as there are many parents that try to be the coach. Poor kids! I am sure you are not one of those parents I am just saying there are plenty of them out there that mean well but create a lot more work for the coach. However, Great topic!;)

I can't imagine that at this level that the coach would be reviewing deductions with the parents after each meet...I think they would keep working on things from a coaching perspective but to review every deduction would be quite tedious....I was never told of any specific deductions from a meet until my daughter reached Level 8...

spot on, bookworm.

don't obsess over those scores. it's a long way to go if you start that now, at level 2 aau. just enjoy the experience.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back