Parents Sending DH to the meet tomorrow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not to be repetitive, but ... a fall is a flat 0.5 deduction. But for rhythm and continuity, the judges can take UP to 0.1 PER element AND for EACH SERIES and then an additional 0.7 for the total exercise. so,if a gymnast has a technically perfect routine, but it's not fluid enough, some judges may take off quite a bit. and that's just one thing they are looking at ...
I' m not even mentioning the shoulder angle (up to 0.3), hand placement on tumbling passes (0.1 flat deduction) or hollow body position (up to 0.2) ...
And you didn't"t say what apparatus this was on, so I gave examples from all 4. But see what I mean?

Usually, the big discrepancies in scores mean National level (brevet ) judges. they tend to score harder. As long as All the scores are lower than usual, just explain to your DD that she cannot control how she scores at meets, so she needs to set goals that are under her control ... Staying on beam, sticking a landing for bars, getting a 360 degree turn on floor without a wobble, etc.

This is one of the reasons I don't understand gymnastics scoring. It appears that a gymnast can be penalized twice for messing up - once for the skill and again for the flow of the routine. I just don't get it! I do understand how a fall being one of the few deductions can be a better score than a routine with lots of little things wrong, it is just still frustrating and confusing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back