Severs disease - quick question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
We have an 8yr old gymnast with Severs - She has had 1 complete month off - didn't even come in for conditioning because she was too tempted to do gymnastics!) and prior to that she was only doing what didn't hurt and conditioning.

She is wearing heel cups and has her own ice pack which she brings in and uses periodically - she had the all clear to come back to gym and her first session was yesterday.

My question is are there any exercises she can be doing to help or is it literally just rest and NO impact work?
Is using the tramp a big no no? Ours is out of action anyway at the moment, but thought I'd ask!

Thanks!

I would think a soft tramp would be good and a hard tramp (what most gyms have here, tight basket weave, very tightly sprung) would be bad. I know most gyms have only hard tramps but there is one we use for open gym that has both. My son got a very bad shin splint once on a hard tramp. You can smack those things pretty hard. Maybe she could work out on a hard tramp with her sneakers and heel cups.

Our PT told mine to stay off tramp (tramp was part of the comp programme) as it forces the heels down far too hard and will just cause more pain.

There is a whole lot of PT exercises that can be done. We got a sheet for mine and she took it to the gym for the coahes to understand what was a good range of skills for her. I seem to remember no hard landings, no hard tumbling, no big jumps and no running.

It really kept her from doing gym properly for a very long time. Heel cups really did help.

I suggest asking the parents what the doctor says she is allowed to do, if they are clueless, maybe trial and error is the way to go.

Severs Disease Is a basic link showing some things she should be able to do.

Our PT insisted on not training through pain, we stuck with that, others says some pain is fine.

Thanks both,

Thanks for the info on the tramp Bog, I was hoping you would reply as I've seen you post about it before!
She is still doing modified hours - one day less per week. We are telling her that if she feels pain to stop straight away.
Will ask her parents if they have an exercise sheet. Off to look at that link now!

I was told the same thing as Bog about tramps. Our PT said they're just about the same as bouncing on concrete and she tells all of her gymnast patients with injuries to the back, hips and legs to stay off of them.
Gentle stretches for the Achilles would help. No running or other impact activities.

I was told the same thing as Bog about tramps. Our PT said they're just about the same as bouncing on concrete and she tells all of her gymnast patients with injuries to the back, hips and legs to stay off of them.
Gentle stretches for the Achilles would help. No running or other impact activities.

I will echo this, when older DD had back pain with gym she switched to tramp, the ortho surgeon was horrified about it and made her stop immediately. He said tramp is worse than bungee jumping or skydiving for joints and backs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back