Coaches Should I apply for a coaching position?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Somekiwichic

Coach
Gymnast
Hi there :)
So I'm 21, in my third year of my Law degree and I work part-time. I've been looking for a new job and I came across one for Gymnastics coaches for various levels at my old Gym. I believe quite a few positions were for Rec level. But there was positions available for Comp level, and T&T.
Now I realise I wouldn't be able to have this as my 'actual' job if that makes sense, but I've been thinking about it for the past few days and I think I'd really enjoy it.

I used to do gymnastics when I was younger. However, I never went above Rec classes as I didn't start until I was 9. Although in High school I did compete at the secondary nationals for 2 years and I competed as a level 4, so I know how to do the basic skills. Also during High school I was in a tumbling class, but I also practised the other events since I was training for the secondary nats.

So, what I'm wanting to know is do you think I should apply at all given the fact that I didn't really compete? I'm hoping to start off coaching the rec kids and maybe progressing from there over a long period of time of course.

I'm fairly certain that here in New Zealand coaches have to have certain certificates etc to be able to coach as well, so would that stop me from being able to coach at all?

I really do love gymnastics and I think coaching would be a good way to stay in the sport since I'm soooo old now at the age of 21. :rolleyes:

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Go for it. I never competed as back in there day it wasn't an option here in Cornwall, but I have coached as an assistant. In the UK you can be a volunteer coach until you get your qualifications.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

You do not need any formal qualifications to start coaching rec in NZ. The club will provide you with courses to learn and opportunities to increase your experience. Because most NZ clubs are not privately owned they tend to get a lot of grants for education, meaning the club is likely to pay for your courses. This is a good thing because you will be earning bugger all.

Yes, you can. I was the same, only did rec gym and only started at 9, and I have coached rec classes. I am hoping to get into competitive coaching at the lower levels some time in the future. It is harder not having the competitive background but not impossible. It doesn't matter so much for rec as long as you understand the basic skills.

Lots of gyms here employ students as part-time coaches, especially in rec. It's true, the pay is minimal! You do not need certificates to coach, but your gym might send you to some coaching courses. You might start out unpaid with a 'buddy' coach to help you learn the ropes, then will be paid once they think you're ready to coach without the buddy coach.

And please - 21 - you are not old!!! (I'm 46, what does that make me...). If you really want to do it, then go for it!

You do not need any formal qualifications to start coaching rec in NZ. The club will provide you with courses to learn and opportunities to increase your experience. Because most NZ clubs are not privately owned they tend to get a lot of grants for education, meaning the club is likely to pay for your courses. This is a good thing because you will be earning bugger all.
i just love these kinds of sayings from all over. "earning bugger all". i love it. lol. :)

Speaking from time management, TnT or Rec would be a lot less hours, especially those extra hours when you are an ArtisticsCoach.

Being a Team coach also has added stress due to the competitive season and nature. Something to think about with 3rd year Law.

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I'll apply and just see what happens. At the moment I don't really care if it's unpaid, It's just something I'd like to do.
Plus here in New Zealand, if you have a second job the tax goes way up. I think it's like 33% for secondary tax, so the pay really would be bugger all.

If I do manage to get a coaching position I can't imagine I would get anything above a Rec class.
6 Law papers, 16 hours work plus coaching a competitive group would be too much I think.

Haha nooo, too old to do Gymnastics, not to coach. :)

I still do gymnastics at 46, admittedly only at a very basic level. So I don't think you are too old to do gymnastics either, if you wanted to. Some gyms run adult classes.

Hey everyone!
So I sent my C.V a few days ago and was thinking that I'd like to start going to open gym for fun to train a little bit, so I had sent a Facebook message about it. Anyway, turns out the same person that was messaging me about the open gym was also dealing with the coach vacancies. So I got an email today from her today asking me to come in early on Friday and bring along my uni and work schedule to see where I could be put.
So thanks so much for giving me the extra push I needed to apply. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back