Should I give up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hello everyone
my name is cassie and i am sixteen years old. i just started gymnastics 4 months ago i have seen progress and so has my coach but im not sure if i should keep going!?!?! i want to be able to compete but not sure if i will ever get there and since im sixteen arnt i too old. they said i could be on the team and compete once i got the skills but is it worth it? i have wanted to do this ever since i was 4 years old and am now finally getting to do what i wanted should i keep going?
:(

Many of the members of The Chalk Bucket can tell you that gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint. 4 months is not a long time to train to be a gymnast. Gymnastics has so much more then just competing to offer. You are getting into great physical shape, learning disciple and perseverance and gaining self confidence. If you are enjoying the training, why not stick with it? On the other hand, if you find you aren't enjoying your time in the gym, there is no shame in admitting you tried it and gymnastics just isn't something you want to pursue.

I'm not going to tell you to quit or not, just posting to say this: love of what you're doing should come before the desire to be competitive! If your heart is in it and you love being at the gym, that's what matters most. There are many personal thrills and accomplishments in gymnastics that don't come from competition! If you keep at it, and that door opens for you, then great! If not, then you still have the opportunity to get new skills, make friends, and have fun. Putting my money where my coaching mouth is: In all the time I've spent coaching competitively, I never gave up coaching rec. Both offer different joys and frustrations and are equally awesome. As coaches we want the best for all our kids, rec or team.

Hi Cassie,
If you love gymnastics... why would you want to quit? You are never too old to do gymnastics, and never too old to compete. I am 27, and started at age 23, and I have even competed. Gymnastics is something I've always wanted to do, but couldn't afford to do it until now. There are adult competitions, but even in the regular USAG program, there is no age limit. Also, keep in mind, there are all different levels of competing in gymnastics! There are options for every skill level.

I would agree with Flippers mom: If you love training, don't give it up because you are unsure of your ability. That will come with time. If you aren't having fun, though, then why stick with something that is not enjoyable? I would think carefully, and I hope you come to the right decision for you.

Many of the members of The Chalk Bucket can tell you that gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint. 4 months is not a long time to train to be a gymnast. Gymnastics has so much more then just competing to offer. You are getting into great physical shape, learning disciple and perseverance and gaining self confidence. If you are enjoying the training, why not stick with it? On the other hand, if you find you aren't enjoying your time in the gym, there is no shame in admitting you tried it and gymnastics just isn't something you want to pursue.

Totally agree with this! You're improving--and you love it, right? that's what counts. Ignore anyone who says differently.

Enjoy your time in the gym, and the skills will come as they come. Have fun working on the skills that you are working on! And think of this, you are doing something that so many other people wouldn't even dream of doing! Have fun, keep reaching for what you want, and don't let anyone get in the way of what you want to do!!

thank you everyone so much for your support! i love my time in the gym and im going to keep trying to make my dream come true! thank you all so much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back