Parents Skill question (because I don't want her to know I don't get it)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AgingHippie

Proud Parent
Dd came out of practice tonight excited she got her cast flyaway dismount. I think that's what she called it, but she competed a flyaway last year so I was a little confused on this one. She actually seemed more excited about this than the handstand so I didn't want to start asking a lot of questions and ruin her moment. Can someone clarify? Is this a tough skill? Usually she is the last one to get a skill but this time she was the first so not sure if that was part of her pure joy or not.

In level 5 they do some tap swings before the flyaway. Now she is saying she dies it immediately put if a cast, which is more difficult

Its typically done in level 6 and is a progression towards a giant flyaway. My DD was doing flyaways out of tap swings for over a year before she could do a kip cast flyaway - it is significanly harder.

Exactly what Gymmommy said. Our gym doesn't compete L6 so we use the cast flyaway as a drill towards getting your flyaway directly out of a giant. It would only be competed if a gymmie absolutely cannot get their flyaway out of a giant, but it's a great step towards getting a L7 bar routine!

Thanks everyone, I have trouble telling a lot of skills apart. A cast vs. a tap swing are two that are a perfect example. I watched some of the trials we taped again this morning and now I think I get it. Legs down in tap swing vs. out in cast. If that's wrong let me know. I feel so confused most of the time, lol.

I think her L6 score out meet is next month so she sounds well on her way.

Thanks everyone, I have trouble telling a lot of skills apart. A cast vs. a tap swing are two that are a perfect example. I watched some of the trials we taped again this morning and now I think I get it. Legs down in tap swing vs. out in cast. If that's wrong let me know. I feel so confused most of the time, lol.

I think her L6 score out meet is next month so she sounds well on her way.
Time to confuse you even more... There is no real reason to do a Level 6 score out meet because Level 6 isn't required.

That I do know, however our gym requires a 36 in every level before you can move onto the next, even L6.

It's a little odd, I know.
That's crazy. Hopefully, they have their L7s compete with shorter music that works for L6. It would suck to get music and choreo for L6 then have to start all over for L7.

I'm not quite sure how they will handle that yet. I heard from other parents of older team members they had to pay to have two routines choreographed within 4 weeks of eachother. Not sure how accurate that really is.

Reactions: sce
I'm not quite sure how they will handle that yet. I heard from other parents of older team members they had to pay to have two routines choreographed within 4 weeks of eachother. Not sure how accurate that really is.
If that were me I would tweak the level 5 compulsory routine if needed. To score out of 6. I don't think there would be a deduction for the music.

I know we are not allowed to use the L5 music, we may be able to use the same music for L6 score out and L7 comp season but not sure. I will update when I find out. Assuming we ever get that far which I still doubt.

Thanks for posting this. DD actully told me tonight that she was doing castaway flyaways. I would have been clueless if it werent for this thread. Now, she is not casting to handstand yet, but apparently high enough to get enough momentum.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back