Coaches Skills or examples of dance that use extreme shoulder flexibility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sun

Coach
Gymnast
I am coaching an 8 year old gymnast (xcel bronze) who has super flexible shoulders - they can interlace their fingers and dislocate back and forth comfortably and they do it all the time for fun. Their back flexibility is great too - back bend front limber and walkovers both ways with good form and control - not pinching in the lower back but actually pretty spread out and nice looking.

My co-coach and I are looking for ideas on how to use this advantage in their routines - I'm not aware of any skills until much later that use this kind of flexibility. I'm thinking of trying some simple stuff in L-grip with them and progressively making it more difficult... L-grip on all fours, then pushup position, elevated, handstand etc. to develop some strength in those positions - but other than that I wanted to know if anyone has any experience or ideas to help.

Maybe someone has video examples of gymnasts using extreme shoulder/back flexibility in choreography?

I have very stiff shoulders, but I would look at poses that YouTuber Anna Mcnulty does for inspiration. I don't have much knowledge on this sorry

-Front walkover to split
-Most of the stuff that I'm thinking of also requires heavy back flexibility:
Handstand bridge to knees
Backbend wave

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back