WAG Skipping the new level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For a motivated 10 -year-old that has a reasonable amount of talent/strength/flexibility, doing EITHER L2 or L3 should be sufficient. Since she is 10, she will not struggle to learn or remember the longer more complicated L4 routines the way a bitty one might, and it sounds like she can already get over the vault table. With her dance background, she probably will get her routines polished quicker as well.

While you are pondering your options (don't rush....consider everything carefully), I would have your DD start doing some strength work at home, specific to the kip. I know there are several threads on CB about exercises to build strength for kipping.

Wow, 36+ AA is not "average"! We have That Gym in our area too. I'd go nuts if DD had to repeat until she got 38-39s.

There are different opinions about moving through the levels, and success in gymnastics. One is that a child is successful when she perfects her compulsory routines to the point that she is getting 38-39s and winning 1-2 s. Another is acquisition of skills and moving through the levels quickly. It is a rare child who can do both . Your gymnast needs to ask herself what is important to her.

There is a reason why a gymnast does not need a minimum score in a sanctioned meet to move out of Level 2 and 3. Level 4 is the first level with a minimum score to move up to the next level. That is 31 in the AA.

It becomes 32 in the AA to move up from Level 7 to level 8.

Sorry if I sounded so abrupt in the last post!

I really feel for your DD. I can't believe her coaches are deciding what level she is competing almost a year out. My DD has her first meet of the season in 2 weeks (a home meet) and her coaches have decided to let her decide what level she wants to compete - by the way, she is 9 years old.

I'd take the 'risk' and insist on having your daughter compete L4. I really do not understand the need to score 37-38s at L1-L4 or even L5. I'd rather repeat L4 than do L3. Does your gym have high levels or is the bulk of your team in compulsories?

We decided to go ahead and let her compete level 4 and if she looks like she may not be ready a few months out, then she will compete level 3. I think she will be just fine, she is very excited. The coach is not, but that's okay. She will have to just prove them wrong.

I'd take the 'risk' and insist on having your daughter compete L4. I really do not understand the need to score 37-38s at L1-L4 or even L5. I'd rather repeat L4 than do L3. Does your gym have high levels or is the bulk of your team in compulsories?
They have a big Compulsory team and a small optional team because this is only the second year they have been opened.

We decided to go ahead and let her compete level 4 and if she looks like she may not be ready a few months out, then she will compete level 3. I think she will be just fine, she is very excited. The coach is not, but that's okay. She will have to just prove them wrong.

I think you did the right thing and I think your daughter will be fine too. But if your daughter's goal is to get an NCAA scholarship, I would look closely at the ability of the gym/coaches to get her there. The gym is only two years old. They seem to be keeping girls longer at the compulsory levels. Most scholarships are awarded to multi year L10s and is pretty competitive. If you have any doubts about the abilities of the coaches, I'd switch sooner than later.

Sounds like a good decision! I don't get why you have decide so early which level she will compete next September! She has plenty of time to get the skills between now and then. Good luck!

So the competition season is over. Here is how she finished up
Bars- 9.275
Floor-9.275
Beam- 9.525
Vault-9.075
All-Around- 36.475

7th in state AA
4th on Bars
6th on floor
3rd on beam
15th on vault

She is now training for level 4 skills. So lets see how it goes. They still weren't happy with her scores. But from what I hear around here, those scores are good.

And the winner of the award for most direct post that cuts to the chase is...... drum roll.....

To the OP, let me put it bluntly - find a different gym...... coach does not have the best interests of your dd in mind..... competing these low levels does nothing to get a gymnast to the higher levels....... Find a gym that will support her goals.

Congrats MeetDirector. My only regret is that the gym is just starting out and may need a few more years before moving into a large scale program. I think their position may be based on needing a stable financial base to work from, but that shouldn't be a sanction for holding kids back...... if that's actually taking place.

No real award or distinction good or bad for MJB974, but I wanted to comment on the trust issue......

It sounds like there are trust issues between you/your gymnast and the coaches (mainly head coach). This is definitely more detrimental to your daughter's gymnastics experience than "skipping" levels.

Trust is a two way street with obligations on both sides. I feel since most coaches know everything parents don't, they have to be honest about what's taking place in their programs, and to suggest in 2013 that a kid won't be ready for ?? compulsory level by late 2014..... well it seems very narrow and limits what may work best for the kid. To top it off, the coach suggested the possibility or having to repeat L3.

Hey, anyone can run their program however they wish. What bugs me is that they claim they claim the kids need 38's as an L3 or should repeat to get themselves ready for level 4..... and no up training!? If you ask me, that's like working hard polishing on a turd to get ready for a bigger, more difficult turd to polish.

Sure, I support the notion that parents should march to the coaches drum, but only if the coach produces a beat that's worthy. Trust should be given as a starting point because the great majority of coaches deserve as much, beyond that it needs to be earned by actions.

To the OP, let me put it bluntly - find a different gym. This coach does not have the best interests of your dd in mind; he is only concerned about his bank account. Here I go again, competing these low levels does nothing to get a gymnast to the higher levels; it just lines the pockets of club owners. USAG has established that the first required competitive level is new 4 (old 5); the preceding levels have skills that frankly go nowhere. Staying in these low levels artificially is ridiculous; move them when they have the skills. Find a gym that will support her goals.

Meet director, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! I'm reading this thread thinking "why is she keeping her kid there? to score 39s as a level 2 or 3? Rubbish..." ....there's no way I'd keep my kid in a low level compulsory level scoring 36s and even entertain repeating...and at this rate, forget about college gym with progression ( or lack thereof) like this gym does it..

So my DD has gone on to level 4. She has been practicing as a level 4 for 5 practices. In those 5 practices she has gotten her FHS on vault, Cartwheel, BWO, and FWO on beam. I am so proud of her! She had her kip, but when she had to start wearing grips, she lost it and is working hard to get use to those pixie grips. She also got her squat on and grabs high bar already. So I am happy that we fought against holding her back. She is showing great improvement, at least it looks that way to me. She had only been in gymnastics for two years.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back