Parents Some good news

• Thread starter Thread starter TeamDad
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
T

TeamDad

I'm running out the door to get to Elizabeth's ballet curriculum night. She's super excited about it since she was one of four girls selected to demonstrate the level she just completed (pink) which I'm told is a sign that she is doing very well and sort of an honor. I'm a little excited myself as i rarely get to see her do ballet. I'll have camera in hand and I hope to get some video.

Then......I have to wisk her away and race down to the gym for the yearly parents meeting. We'll get all the updates, final level determination and meet schedule. Hopefully they will also talk to us about scheduling choreography and music selection as well. Even though she's been missing alot of practice, she has her skills and she is looking great. I'm really looking forward to her promotion into L7 and new music.

More soon.......

Oh what an exciting night Elizabeth is going to have. I can't wait to see her ballet video, sseing her that way is so different than in a production. Glad that all is going well with the gym. E is clearly a very talented young lady, it will be a fun year for her to have her own routines, she will be really able to show off her beautiful lines.

It sounds like you have a great night ahead of you! What a special treat, to have the opportunity to watch your daughter display her mastery of her level. She must be quite proud, seeing how her hard work has paid off. Do you get nervous watching her dance? Is it similar to the competition jitters that many parents get before and during a gym meet?

As for the level, I'm sure if the choreography and music selection information isn't available tonight, it will be soon. I don't doubt for a minute that your daughter will be moving forward into the world of the optionals!

Have fun tonight, and please post video of the dance!

Wow! Sounds like an exciting night...so funny ballet has "levels" too? You must be so proud, she has so many talents....a complete package! Enjoy! It must be nice to finally be able to showcase her skills on floor with a custom made routine, it's going to be a good year!

Sounds like a fun night! How did it all turn out?

Dad and Elizabeth's excellent adventure :D! Sounds like a good time to be had by all - we parents are so lucky to have these wonderful kids who keep us entertained and proud!

Hope you both had a wonderful night - I'm looking forward to seeing video this year of E competing L7, she is so beautiful to watch.

Missed this yesterday, but hope she had fun. Can't wait to hear all about it. :)

well.....I got about 5 seconds of Elizabeth stretching on video before I heard 'Oh, that isn't a camera is it?' To bad, the girls all did a great job. I wish I could of stayed for the demonstration of the level she is currently in, but I wanted to be on-time for then gymnastics parent meeting.

We got our schedule, 7 meets, 4 out of state (3 drivable) and three in state. The first meet is Christmas on the Chesapeake in Baltimore Maryland, but they said that we are not confirmed yet. Ten weeks away and no choreography yet, but they said they wanted to get started right away;) I don't think she'll be ready to compete by then due to her schedule, but you never know. Her first qualifier is in February and that's the one that really matters.

We're also going to Brestyan's, Sand Dollar and Nittany Invitationals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is good, news. Shame about the video, but that's life.

Post you meets on the meet at the meet thread, I know we have other parents doing the Christmas on the thingy one.. We also always have aton of people at the sand dollar meet. Never me though of course. Though I am holding you at your word for next year when hubby and I make it back to your city, we shalll have to have a drink.

well.....I got about 5 seconds of Elizabeth stretching on video before I heard 'Oh, that isn't a camera is it?' To bad, the girls all did a great job. I wish I could of stayed for the demonstration of the level she is currently in, but I wanted to be on-time for then gymnastics parent meeting.

We got our schedule, 7 meets, 4 out of state (3 drivable) and three in state. The first meet is Christmas on the Chesapeake in Baltimore Maryland, but they said that we are not confirmed yet. Ten weeks away and no choreography yet, but they said they wanted to get started right away;) I don't think she'll be ready to compete by then due to her schedule, but you never know. Her first qualifier is in February and that's the one that really matters.

We're also going to Brestyan's, Sand Dollar and Nittany Invitationals.

Bummer about not being able to video tape! I'm sure he had fun!

You will be at 2 of the same meets that we'll be at. The X-mas on the Chesapeake and Brestyans. Have you ever done them before? Your dd's a level 6, right? What age group is she in? I hope my dd doesn't have to compete against her in the 8yo group! :D

The first meet is Christmas on the Chesapeake in Baltimore Maryland, but they said that we are not confirmed yet.

Hey TeamDad--that is my neck of the woods! PM me when you are confirmed for that meet--I would love to come out and check that out. I am not sure if our USAG girls are doing that meet--I would assume so since I think we did it last year. Too bad about the videotaping :(.

Bummer about not being able to video tape! I'm sure he had fun!

You will be at 2 of the same meets that we'll be at. The X-mas on the Chesapeake and Brestyans. Have you ever done them before? Your dd's a level 6, right? What age group is she in? I hope my dd doesn't have to compete against her in the 8yo group! :D

Elizabeth's competing L7 this season and she'll be 12 y.o by states. The Optionals went to Brestyan's last season and they got creamed. It was one of those meets where everyone had a bad day. I think they were a little overwhelmed. Our gym tends to get off to a slow start and tries to peak by States/Regionals

We're also going to the Christmas on the Chesapeake meet... that is... if Katy can get over her tumbling fears (AGAIN!!!!). She saw someone do their RO BHS BT last night, fall on their back/neck (like she did in June) and that just set it all off again!!! UGH.... we'll see if this is her last season doing gymnastics.

I'm so happy Elizabeth has diversified her interests and is doing so well w/her ballet! I, too, can't wait to see her videos!!! That whole dance thing is so foreign to me!!!

Hey TeamDad--that is my neck of the woods! PM me when you are confirmed for that meet--I would love to come out and check that out. I am not sure if our USAG girls are doing that meet--I would assume so since I think we did it last year. Too bad about the videotaping :(.

Hi there,

I was talking with Elizabeth last night and apparently she's still having fear issues with her BHS on beam. She doesn't want to compete until she's feeling confident enough to compete beam so she can have a shot at the AA. Wining the AA is what drives her so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. She's always hated beam and she doesn't like being pushed until she's ready. This is going to be a huge obstacle for her.

Send those beam fairies our way!!!

Hi there,

I was talking with Elizabeth last night and apparently she's still having fear issues with her BHS on beam. She doesn't want to compete until she's feeling confident enough to compete beam so she can have a shot at the AA. Wining the AA is what drives her so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. She's always hated beam and she doesn't like being pushed until she's ready. This is going to be a huge obstacle for her.

Send those beam fairies our way!!!

I hear ya TeamDad--these fear issues can wreak havoc! And it sounds like Elizabeth has a really good handle on her gymnastics and what she feels she is and isn't ready for. Our first meet is Dec 5th weekend and after watching some of Dani's practices/privates (like last night) I cringe at the thought that she only has 2 months to get her routines ready :rolleyes:. We'll see. Dani is the type of kid that usually surprises me and her coach with great meets but mediocre practices. At least she knows how to turn it on when it counts I guess.

Oh--and I am sending beam fairies your way!!!

I am always so impressed by her ability to juggle ballet and gymnastics and excel in both. She is truly a talented girl. I wouldn't worry about only having 10 weeks for her floor, something tells me she'll pick up her choreography quick:)!

I am always so impressed by her ability to juggle ballet and gymnastics and excel in both. She is truly a talented girl. I wouldn't worry about only having 10 weeks for her floor, something tells me she'll pick up her choreography quick:)!

You know, it's been pretty easy up till now. As a L4, she was only in the gym a few hours per week and also only had dance class a few times per week. Her homework was also pretty easy.

As a L5, it was pretty much the same. At L6, both schedules increased but there was only one day where the two conflicted and she would only miss one hour of gymnastics practice per week.

This year, it's been a struggle. Firstly, her homework has increased alot and she has more tests to study for. And then there's the BF who doesn't have any after school activities and has introduced her to the world of virtual boyfriends (she goes to an all girls school). It has been a real distraction since now her friend is always trying to get her a boyfriend and she's constantly texting and chatting on facebook when she should be doing homework.

It was all new to her so we tried to advise her w/o bringing the hammer down and taking it all away. She was acting pretty obsessive about the whole thing, but is finally coming back to reality about it. The real problem is that she has curiosity about boys, but not alot of real interest so there's some poor boy every week who gets obsessed about her only to get blown off. The real problem is that some of these boys who we don't even know can get real nasty. I think she's figuring out that we have been right all along in that it's better to keep everyone as friends because friendships last. She's been very good about this and there's always boys who obviously have a crush on her but she's been able to keep them as friends for years.

Anyway, back to this year. Everything has gone helter skelter with her schedule. Ballet has gone to a 6 day a week schedule instead of the 4 days per we were expecting. The program is very concentrated on basics in the early levels and alot of the kids were taking more advanced classes elsewhere. To this end, they decided to add more classes. Gymnastics is now 5 days per week and it's just nuts. Fortunately, we just have to get through this one year of this. Come the summer, she will choose which one she wants to continue with. Personally, I hope she chooses gymnastics but I'm staying out of it as it's her choice and I don't want to influence her one way or the other.

In the end, it's the fear factor with gymnastics that could win out, so I just hope she can learn to conquer that so that it doesn't make the decision for her.

end of ramble........

Wait a minute, anybody remember that show 'fear factor'? Maybe if she had to choose between eating a bowl of live bugs, climbing into a tank of live snakes or doing a back hand spring on the high beam she might choose beam:D
bwahahahah

Wait a minute, anybody remember that show 'fear factor'? Maybe if she had to choose between eating a bowl of live bugs, climbing into a tank of live snakes or doing a back hand spring on the high beam she might choose beam:D
bwahahahah

That's AWESOME!!!

Non gymmie mom here, I'll pick the snakes;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back