Parents Spotting front somersaults

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MrsB

Proud Parent
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum but just wandered if anyone could advise me on this?

My kids came out of their last gym class saying their arm/wrist hurt as the coach squeezed too hard when spotting their front somersault. I didn't collect them on this day otherwise I would have checked with the coach at the end. I am not a gym coach, but I wasn't sure this would be the correct way to spot this skill? My younger son said his wrist hurt and my elder son said the top of his arm near his shoulder is where was squeezed and hurt.

There has never been an issue with this with their normal coach, they had a different coach on this occasion and I'm not sure whether to leave it or mention it to the gym.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

when I have spotted its hands either side of the waist (front and back) to help with rotation, if they cant get the height then then shouldn't be doing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOeRhS93yM

minute 3.21 explains what I mean (ignore that its a straight somi).

If they are sore there it impies to me that the coach has been holding the wristr and shoulder to control their rotation, whis is not so good IMHO.

I generally spot the hip with the first hand and catch the lower back with the second hand but I'm aware of sliding from the wrist through the upper arm and shoulder. BTDT.

It gets down to this. Small kid and an adult spotting. Better than not being spotted.

It gets down to this. Small kid and an adult spotting. Better than not being spotted.

Yes...totally.

I can recall times that I have spotted too hard...sometimes it just happens because you don't want the child to get hurt. As a coach gains more experience at spotting a certain skill...this usually gets better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back