WAG Spotting or no spotting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stumpy.....I feel your pain......

A spot, or a private?? Will it help? I dont know either....I would say private in this case.....

When my dd was doing the cartwheel, I always told her to do it like she was going to miss the beam on the back side.....in other words, overshoot on the back......it's scary because they feel they are going to go backwards off the beam......

We are stuck in BHS-BHS, and friend is stuck on BHS-BLO.......no spot allowed, unless 'angel, good, favorite' coach is there.....then there is spotting.......otherwise, tears, and sadness.......

Stumpy.....I feel your pain......

A spot, or a private?? Will it help? I dont know either....I would say private in this case.....

When my dd was doing the cartwheel, I always told her to do it like she was going to miss the beam on the back side.....in other words, overshoot on the back......it's scary because they feel they are going to go backwards off the beam......

We are stuck in BHS-BHS, and friend is stuck on BHS-BLO.......no spot allowed, unless 'angel, good, favorite' coach is there.....then there is spotting.......otherwise, tears, and sadness.......

I don't mind this no spotting idea up to a certain extent, but how long should you be stuck on a skill before you get a spot to get a skill, especially as only a spot might be needed to land the skill? Is this something I should speak to her coach about? Or will it click one day on its own?

They don't do private's at my daughters gym unfortunately :(

In some cases spotting a skill makes it no safer than without a spot, I kept falling on my squat on in a safe way into the pit but then my coach offered to spot me. When she spotted me, I ended up throwing my head back when I fell and then landing with all my body weight on my neck. Yes, the pit does make skills a bit safer but it still can cause injury. Now I'm out with a concussion. Basically my coach trying to help me made things worse. Just to note, I'm not blaming my coach for my injury just pointing out that getting spotted does not always benefit the gymnast or the coach. Just adding my 2 cents onto the spot or not to spot debate.

In some cases spotting a skill makes it no safer than without a spot, I kept falling on my squat on in a safe way into the pit but then my coach offered to spot me. When she spotted me, I ended up throwing my head back when I fell and then landing with all my body weight on my neck. Yes, the pit does make skills a bit safer but it still can cause injury. Now I'm out with a concussion. Basically my coach trying to help me made things worse. Just to note, I'm not blaming my coach for my injury just pointing out that getting spotted does not always benefit the gymnast or the coach. Just adding my 2 cents onto the spot or not to spot debate.
If you have a concussion shouldn't you be off electronics?

I kind of stand in the middle - spotting only to an extent. Some skills I can't imagine kids doing without spots - but I guess it works. For some skills, spotting gets in my way. For example, I'm working back handsprings on beam and I can't swing my arms because my coaches arm is in the way. I think that spotting should be used to an extent.

Ironically, fear spotting increases fear (especially on beam)!

Which is exactly why I stopped spotting on (high) beam.

I mostly spot for shaping. My littles need it. A lot. So basically just handstands and casts - and slow or stop motion spotting skills for body awareness.

I agree that it depends on the child, and what for.
My DD was afraid to land her FHSFT on the floor for her first time. We aren't talking mental fear block (that's what her current beam BWO is), just very nervous about doing it. Did all the drills on tumble track, etc.
HC spotted her on the FT, and she went for it. Coach barely touched her, DD realized she could do it, and Voila, new skill.
Found out later that HC NEVER EVER spots FT (hard to do without getting kicked, etc). But she knew that it was just 2 seconds of extra confidence that DD needed, and she was right.

Now, I'd love for DD to be spotted on the BWO on beam (strictly as a mom who hurts for her DD who is scared literally stiff), but they won't, and I'm glad. She has a beautiful BWO on low beam, and crank beam, up to "a certain spot",then scared. I know that one day it will come back (she already competed L5, this is a new fear, of injury), and just needs to work her own way up the crank.

We spot vertically everything at first and work our way into just being there for a visual and just in case and eventually out of the picture completely. But highly recommend it's a good thing to do.

My youngest has been working on cartwheels on the beam for around 6 months and is not making progress, she has been trying them on the floor beam and cannot land them at all, her coach doesn't spot at all on this skill, I am sure that if she was spotted through the skill especially the landing then she might get it, I am not a coach and might be way off base here but it is frustrating for both of us.
If she can't land her cartwheels on the floor beam then spotting is very unlikely to help.

To be working a cartwheel for 6 months on the beam and still not be able to do it on the floor beam is a concern. What sort of set ups does the coach use to help her achieve it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back