WAG Squat On Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Congratulations on the squat on!

Hehe this works both ways! I used to be the only taller girl on my team (now my baby teammates are all grown up :( ), and they kept the bars ridiculously close. One coach refused to move them at all. So I learned my tap swings with a massive pike & had to fall to the high bar. If I'd jumped I would've ended up in more of a front support!
We have a girl that does a squat on, jump to front support in her Bar routine :) She likes the bars close.

I would imagine that tap swing and kips would come LONG before baby giants.

You are probably right, it would probably be floating upstarts (kips), what is a tap swing?

You are probably right, it would probably be floating upstarts (kips), what is a tap swing?

In the UK most regions need and compete a baby giant before a kip. USA has different requirements. Tap swings are swings on the high bar. We tend to do those from the beginning.

In the UK most regions need and compete a baby giant before a kip. USA has different requirements. Tap swings are swings on the high bar. We tend to do those from the beginning.

Very likely she has already done the tap swings at some point , is it swinging on the high bar and the re gripping ? (She has done that), Swings that look like fish on a fishing rod? (done those) or bringing your feet to the bar and kicking out with both feet before swinging? (working on those on the strap bar)

swing and regrip yes
the fishy thing is tap bit of the swing so yes.

The leg lift into kick into swing is called a trolley swing. We use them a lot in our grades to go from a dead hang to a swing. USA don't use them I don't think.

Thanks, I know have some reference for the moves my daughter mentions, she mentioned a trolley swing but didn't know what it was, does the trolley swing have anything to do with the progressions of an floating upstart or is it a separate thing altogether?

I would imagine that tap swing and kips would come LONG before baby giants.
She probably means long hang pullover. I have discovered that some people use baby giant and long hang pullover interchangeably.

Reactions: sce
What is the difference?
Well, perhaps @dunno can explain a little better. My daughter has been doing "baby giants" since she was 6. I mentioned it in a post a while back, and this was met with a lot of disbelief from some seasoned upper level parents. Yet her coaches were calling what she was doing a "baby giant." My DD was swinging from the high bar and then pulling herself around, but her hips touched the bar when she went around. I think in the UK and maybe Australia that IS considered a baby giant. Apparently in the US, however, the hips do NOT touch the bar when going around. Do I have that right?
And if I am explaining this right, then the long hang pullover/"baby giant" is a lot easier than a kip. Right??

Reactions: COz
Well, perhaps @dunno can explain a little better. My daughter has been doing "baby giants" since she was 6. I mentioned it in a post a while back, and this was met with a lot of disbelief from some seasoned upper level parents. Yet her coaches were calling what she was doing a "baby giant." My DD was swinging from the high bar and then pulling herself around, but her hips touched the bar when she went around. I think in the UK and maybe Australia that IS considered a baby giant. Apparently in the US, however, the hips do NOT touch the bar when going around. Do I have that right?
And if I am explaining this right, then the long hang pullover/"baby giant" is a lot easier than a kip. Right??
Lol My eight year old has explained this to me and I still don't know...glad I'm not the only one!

Lol My eight year old has explained this to me and I still don't know...glad I'm not the only one!
Ha ha! I don't know either. I felt really dumb, and quite a few level 8&9 parents were fussing at me that it was "impossible" for the 6 year old to be doing baby giants etc. And I was completely confused because I know that's what her coaches were calling it!! This sport confuses me on a daily basis. Fortunately dunno swooped in with his expertise and saved the day.

Ha ha! I don't know either. I felt really dumb, and quite a few level 8&9 parents were fussing at me that it was "impossible" for the 6 year old to be doing baby giants etc. And I was completely confused because I know that's what her coaches were calling it!! This sport confuses me on a daily basis.
I more I learn, the more I realize I need to learn. Seriously!

Idk the confusion either. My DD has been working baby giants and they look nothing like a pullover!

Idk the confusion either. My DD has been working baby giants and they look nothing like a pullover!

Ok, this is what my DD was doing (high bar part):

Isn't a baby giant different? Sorry for the tangent, OP! And yes, congrats on the squat on.

We call this a baby giant
Ok, now I am really confused. :D:D And I'm wondering why this was so unbelievable. I never said she looked fabulous doing them. I just said that she was doing this skill, and she was. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Ok, I can see the confusion now. DDs baby giants swing much higher and she lands at the bar in a straight body.
She's supposed to "baby giant & miss her hips" (of course, this is assuming she's doing it correctly)

I suppose I never knew what a long hang pull over was

We call this a baby giant and the other a long hang pullover, although I've heard this be referred to as a long hang pullover too. The cast doesn't need to be as high.

Oh man, I must be old...if I recall correctly when I was young a "baby giant" was like a real giant, just done on the low bar with your legs bent as you went past the floor. That was, ummm, 30-ish years ago....

So yeah, my memory might be fuzzy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back