Parents Still Not Healed :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

krisnkids

Proud Parent
So both my daughter and I are beyond frustrated. We went back to the orthopedic surgeon today, while its better than it was the 'healing' so to speak is at a standstill and is still causing problems. Lets put it this way, she tried to do a simple kartwheel the other day and her wrist could not handle the pressure.

So now the ortho wants to do a cortisone injection and immobilize it in a cast for a month. I am so beyond frustrated, I wish they had tried this a month ago but evidently they thought OT would help it.

Sorry to hear that she's not healed yet. What was the injury?

Bruised both ulna and radius growth plates and damaged tendon in her right wrist.

She is having he surgery done on Tuesday, now I am working with her school to get accomodations for her state testing. There is a lot of writing involved and there is no way she is going to be able to do it all with in the allotted time.

Geez, I am so very sorry to hear this! The poor kid! I really hope that the surgery helps her to recover fully. Not that I want to start a big controversy, but can you just opt her out of the state testing this year? Is it really that important in the grand scheme of things given what she's been through with this injury?

Thanks everyone. I just spoke with the school coordinator and she said the school counselor has volunteered to act as a scribe for her.
I probably wouldn't worry about the state testing if she were younger, but going into high school next year I think its pretty important.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using ChalkBucket mobile app

So nice that the school is willing to work with her. Hope all goes well with the surgery and she is back to normal soon. :)

Thanks for updating with what her injury was. I wasn't sure, but I could tell you were quite frustrated. What a tough situation! I hope that the plans for surgery go well and all ends smoothly! It must be tough on both on you! Hang in there!!

Everything went well yesterday. I must say, Shriners is the best children's hospital I have ever dealt with, and I have dealt with quite a few. We get there to check in and they gave her a build-a-bear, box, birth certificate and all, some art supplies and sun glasses. The whole time we were waiting before surgery she was in a regular room, not the cold, non-family friendly places you usually find for outpatient surgery. When she went into pre-op they gave her a handmade quilt and another bear. The whole experience was better than I have ever dealt with!

As for her wrist, the doc doesn't want her doing anything, not even writing with it, to give the steroid shot the best chance to heal the tendon and growth plate inflamation. Little did I realize why they gave her the art supplies. They had her coloring with her left hand, she's right handed.

It sounds like they did everything they could to make your daughter's experience as positive as possible. I can't imagine how hard this is.

You're right, Shriner's rocks! I always make sure that some of my charitable giving monies go to them specifically! When my daughter was born, one of her feet/ankles were a bit malformed. It curved in. I was worried she wouldn't be able to learn to walk properly. They were so caring and comforting and assured me that as she got mobile, the bone would strengthen and straighten itself out.

It mostly did but even to this day, she has what her coaches call a Becca Bross point. It's very noticeable anytime she is in handstand. I had to go watch videos of Bross to find out what they were talking about!

So not to hijack, but yes, if any of you are looking for somewhere to volunteer or contribute, please consider Shriner's. It sounds like both Kris and I had very positive experiences with them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back