Coaches Straddle Cast vs. Straight body Cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I notice the coaches in my gym are teaching just about every kid that comes across them a straddle cast to handstand. I feel like they are doing it because it's just easier then teaching the straight body. They are even teaching the smaller kids (not younger, smaller) kids to straddle. What is your views on the handstands?

I alway teach a straight cast. If a kid hasn't learned one, and comp season is just around the corner, I'll switch them over to a straddle cast. They usually get the straddle cast within 2 workouts because of the work they put into straight casts. I feel they have a harder time learning a consistent straddle cast if I start them straddled without first trying them straight body style.

We teach both...most get the straddle first.

Pretty much little ones, especially those doing TOPS do straight. By the time they are older and optionals, most will be doing straddle unless they are exceptionally strong.

Pretty much little ones..........

I really think some of it has to do with youthful optimism and (maybe) their heads representing a slightly larger percentage of body weight compared to the old ladies in the sport (think 9yo & up).

The tops kids....... well cheesh, they're tops kids...... they eat cast handstands for breakfast, and burp clear hips by mid morning.

I really think it has to do with us coaches trying to spot 90-110lb girls around 5 feet tall while on some half arse spotting mats and blocks stacked together that are shaky, especially when they can barely cast to 30 degrees above horizontal themselves.

I have a bunch of 8's and 9's that can straight cast but I don't use it much, reason, straddle is cleaner, easier, and usually scores higher because of that.

I have a bunch of 8's and 9's that can straight cast but I don't use it much, reason, straddle is cleaner, easier, and usually scores higher because of that.

My daughter can straight cast her whole routine but they never let her compete it. Straddle is cleaner they always tell her. She says it's easier to pirouette from the straight cast though.

My daughter can straight cast her whole routine but they never let her compete it. Straddle is cleaner they always tell her. She says it's easier to pirouette from the straight cast though.
===

Depends which pirouette technique they are doing. Early shift is easier from straddle, that is what we teach.

I like to teach kids both. Even if the kids are tiny and straight body cast I like to teach them the drills and correct positions for a straddle cast as well.

I'm one of those people who wants kids to be comfortable, confident and clean in as many correct shapes as possible. It makes teaching upper level skills easier.

I like to teach kids both. Even if the kids are tiny and straight body cast I like to teach them the drills and correct positions for a straddle cast as well.

I'm one of those people who wants kids to be comfortable, confident and clean in as many correct shapes as possible. It makes teaching upper level skills easier.
==
your hired!!! :)

Well at my dd's level the straight cast is worth 0.5 and the straddle only worth 0.3.

Very good point...depending on what system you are competing in...straight body is worth more.

In the USAG JO system...all casts are the same.

Until very recently I only taught straight casts. Lately, though, I'd say I've come around to teaching straddle casts at level 7.

All else equal, I'd choose a straight cast over a straddle cast for a kid who can do both equally well, but a straddle cast certainly has its uses.

Also remember...men's gymnastics has no straddle cast.

Also remember...men's gymnastics has no straddle cast.

Well, no straddle cast that is recognized or rewarded ;) my son had quite the straddle cast this season, although honestly, it resembled more of a frog cast.....

Well for girls, you are doing that an early stage if you are teaching the cast, straddle-on correctly. From there, include the press and it's basically a straddle cast HS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back