Strength moves on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've seen a lot of Elites who do some strength move or press to handstand on beam. I'm noticing it more at Levels 9-10. Is this something we should think about adding to beam routine at Level 9?

My personal feeling is that judges want to see gymnasts do some strength move and seem to reward it.

Do coaches encourage this or not?

A press handstand mount is the required move in the UK for elite grade 3 (age 10). So we see a lot of them around that age. I like tham from the end of the beam too.

Depending on the gymnast, you can find some easy value elements to plug into their routine to help them hit all the A's and B's they need.

I'm not a fan of "extra" elements, but if the gymnast has a solid press mount it can add to the routine. I am anticipating at some point they may try to "do something" about the prevalence of easy mounts at level 9 and 10 because i've heard it discussed at congress and in JO committee minutes. What exactly I don't know, I suppose that's the problem. Making another requirement for a mount above a certain value doesn't necessarily make sense to me...maybe like 1 tenth bonus for a C mount or something in L9/10.

Any basic press handstand mount is "B" value. Provided a gymnast can successfully press to handstand, a press mount is an easy way to get her on the beam, while also receiving B credit for any of the optional levels.

At our gym, we strongly encourage press mounts, allowing the gymnast to find a creative variation. Half of our Level 7s do them, and all of our Level 9 and 10s do them.

Logistically, it's also easier to have gymnasts performing press mounts than dealing with running space and springboards for other mounts. While I'm sure a gymnast can fall on a press mount, none of my gymnasts have in competition. However, the girls leaping or jumping on to the beam certainly have.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back