Parents Stretch U ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is anyone familiar with the "Stretch U" flexibility program? My daughter has average flexibility compared to her strength and I thought these sessions might benefit her. She's only six, so it's not exactly exciting to stretch at home - although we sometimes stretch together which she enjoys because I am so NOT flexible (soccer player) and she gets to laugh at me. Anyways, I found a Groupon for four lessons at Stretch U, so she is going to try it out next week. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts. And please note that SHE wants to be more flexible - I'm not making or pressuring her.

I looked them up to see what they seemed to think of themselves, and what they claim to provide. Yeah, I know I sound a tad skeptical, but that just the way I approach business "come on chatter". It reads and looks like they provide a valid service using exercises either "pioneered" or simply brought to forefront by someone with a physical therapy background.

I saw a little humor in their rave about who they can help, as their list completely overlooks gymnasts. That may be a matter of wanting to motivate other less accomplished "flexies" to visit their business, or an acknowledgement that they won't be able to do much more for a gymnast than has already been done.

Here's their list

Who Can Benefit from Resistance Stretching?
Runners, Cylists, Triathletes, Skiers (Alpine/Nordic), Golfers, Racquet Sports Enthusiasts, Basketball Players, Volleyball Players, Hikers, Rock Climbers, Weightlifters, Walkers, Horse Jockeys, Desk Jockeys Basically, anyone who has a body . . . EVERYBODY!!!

Have a good time there and let me know what you think about it.

"Waste-O-Money"

I am skeptical as well but also intrigued. The guy said he works with a couple of gymnasts. We shall see! I will report back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

"Waste-O-Money"...just stretch...it's like saying you need a video to go jogging.

"Waste-O-Money"...just stretch...it's like saying you need a video to go jogging.

I see your point but it's also kind of like having a coach that makes/motivates you to jog faster and longer than you would by yourself. Stretching can be very uncomfortable and certainly not fun especially for a youngster. She stretches at practice twice a week which just isn't enough for her. If nothing else, additional, dedicated stretching time will be good for her - so hopefully not a total waste of money. I do, however, agree that the claims made by Stretch U are likely a S T R E T C H...

I would not pay extra money or drive to a stretch class, but I see OP's point. My daughter's current gym does not stretch regularly. Though she expresses concerns about it, she would rarely stretch on her own. But I too checked the website and feel this method, Carey stretch method, is geared towards rehabilitation. In addition, any flexibility gained by your daughter in these sessions will be lost when she stops the exercises.

"During stretch sessions, professional athletic trainers and stretchers perform stretches that help to encourage proper functioning of the nervous system and neurological mobility. They stretch isolated muscle groups to target constricted neural pathways, which can help boost athletic performance and increase range of motion."

Most, if not all, gymnasts are already more flexible than the average individual or even athlete. So, I don't know how far they'd be willing to stretch your daughter past what they are trained to do. But it could not hurt. Hope it helps your daughter.

I was wondering the same thing... heck, my entire family may be doing splits *incuding grandma* once we know the patented stretch move. I will make sure to upload pics if that is the case!

Is it strange that some gyms seem not to do much stretching? There is a big focus on conditioning and flexibility at my DD's gym. They often do diff things, but there is something done most days related to both. I guess I thought that most gyms would be set up that way, but maybe not. ::shrugs:: :confused:

Is it strange that some gyms seem not to do much stretching? There is a big focus on conditioning and flexibility at my DD's gym. They often do diff things, but there is something done most days related to both. I guess I thought that most gyms would be set up that way, but maybe not. ::shrugs:: :confused:

I believe team does devote more time and energy to flexibility/conditioning since practices are longer. My daughter just got invited to move up to team and hasn't started new hours yet so i don't know for sure). Her coach told her (according to my dd) that she needs dominant leg splits and must be very close on the other two by the beginning of summer. It seems like she has her dominant leg splits already, but then what do I know! She HATES the third splits (both legs out) which is why I bought the Stretch U groupon. It all seems so painful to me. I figured a stretching professional is better than me trying to help!

well, i'll have a pill available for this shortly. stay tuned. in the meantime please send a $5 deposit to JBS to secure your order...

well, i'll have a pill available for this shortly. stay tuned. in the meantime please send a $5 deposit to JBS to secure your order...

I tried to find a place on the site to make the deposit but couldn't find it. Can you post the link? :confused: oh wait you were being sarcastic and making fun of my impulse buy... my bad! :eek:. All in good cheer.

My daughter's old gym did spend time on stretching and whatever it is that makes her former team stronger in floor and beam. Most of the team had beautiful lines on floor and beam is pretty too. Bars and vault were not good. Her new team spends more time on conditioning and stretches sporadically. Most of her new team is pretty strong on all events but rarely anyone has their splits down, can do handstands on their own and hold it and they never climb ropes but they seem physically stronger than her former team, though not as graceful. I think there is just so much to learn and do in gymnastics, it is hard to cram everything into a 3 hour practice a day. So, I guess unless hours are longer, most gyms can't cover everything. I miss the grace and artistry of my daughter's old gym but feel her new gym will better prepare her overall.

Had a look at the site, it looks more like a physio type thing? So stretching for recovery from injury/stopping injuries, improving general muscle flexibility (rather than gymnastics flexibility ifykwim, ie not working on splits/back bend flexibility etc)
So not stretching as the gymnastics world sees it.
But it also sounds a bit like chiro in a getting the body into balance way so could still do some good.
And hey you got a deal so worth having a go and seeing what it's like.
Also you could mention her problem areas to them and see if they will work those more. As you say for most 6 year olds stretching isn't fun so this could be something she doesn't mind and produces results. Or it could be of no benefit but you've given it a go at a good price. I don't think it can do any harm anyway as it sounds quite physio based.

I know you have all been on pins and needles waiting for the Stretch U update. Well, after one 25 minute stretching session, I give the experience an emphatic thumbs up! The trainer pinpointed each muscle shoulder to ankle and while my dd was uncomfortable at times, she had her game face on and allowed him to push her just past her comfort zone on each stretch. It is not a system designed for overnight splits, but will definitely increase her flexibility and range of motion safely. My DD liked it, though she did say it was "intense." Her next session is Friday. I imagine we will stick with it at least for a while. The grandparents pay for all her gymnastics, so we can spring for flexibility! Oh, and I am keeping an eye out for that patented stretch move....

I don't know about this place, but there are things that you can do to improve flexibility beyond "just stretch". Sometimes, the usual stretches don't isolate what you actually want to stretch, so you may need a position different from those who have good flexibility in your problem area. Also, certain fascia can be inhibiting a stretch. For example, my IT band is bothering me right now, so use the foam yoga roller and even a tennis ball before I stretch. But gymnastics coaches know about these things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back