Parents Stretch U ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
That's a big generalisation. I bet there are lots who don't.

The girls on DD's team stretch as a group with 2-3 coaches walking around correcting their form occasionally. When she was told she needs all three splits by June 1, there was no other support offered. The mentality seems to be that girls can stretch at home, which is true. However, I am learning that there is a certain science involved in pinpointing and addressing weaknesses and insuring no areas are neglected.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Kiwi: Yes, I'm sure that many coaches do not know it, but the good ones do.
Okie: We have a similar situation. The coaches walk around and help different kids during stretching when they see it is needed, but can't address individual needs much at that time. But they talk with the parents after class and offer stretches to do at home, geared to the particular child. Right now, my daughter is very tight in the shoulders, despite getting amazingly flexible in straddle and splits over the last year. Being a physician, I'm on top of this issue and working on it with the coaches, but at the same time being careful not to be one those interfering parents who tell the coaches what to do. All and all, I'm not concerned yet, because she's making progress in the shoulder flexibility, and since she still will be preteam next year, she won't have the least flexible shoulders of the group.

Well, as you can imagine, having a personal trainer stretch you three days a week makes a difference in flexibility. After four sessions, my DD's kicks and splits are noticeably improved. A parent, who had know idea about the stretching, actually commented on her improved kicks. It is also apparent in her shoulders. My DD has a love/hate regard for it (it is uncomfortable) but definitely wants to keep doing it. So, we signed up for three days a week (12 sessions) over the next month. I am comforted knowing how in tune he is with her and how far to push her. We shall see what happens over the next month! I just keep telling myself that flexibility and range of motion are priceless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back