Stuck In the Wrong Workout Group?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

Hi, it's Mack again. Gym has been going pretty well for me lately, except for on Saturdays: I'm worried that I'm in the wrong workout group, skill-level and motivation wise. On the other two days I go to gym, I'm in a group with several girls who are a level or two below me, and several girls who are at my level or higher. This works well, of course, but on Saturdays there are three groups at the gym: the younger level 5/6 group, the older level 5/6 group, and the level 6/7 group.

I am in the older level 5/6 group, probably because of my age. My problem is that I can't work the upper level skills that I would like to get because either the others in my group aren't ready for it or because certain other members of my group procrastinate so much that we run out of time. This is a recurring problem - three other members of my group take so much time in-between turns that I often am stuck tapping my feet while they stand on the vault runway doing their hair saying "I'm almost done, I'm almost done, just wait a sec and I'll go."

I've been approached by my coach about working on level 7 and maybe competing it next year, so I'm frusturated about being in the lower-level group. I have all of my level 6 skills (sans flyaway) while no one else in my group has more than a couple, and I'm also working on some higher level progressions. My question is this: (how) should I approach my coach? I'm thinking about emailing her so I can explain my situation, as she's always in a rush at the gym. I'm thinking about explaining to her that the other group is working on things I would like to learn and that my current group has a different motivation level that can get in my way...I don't think it's a big deal asking to be in a different practice group on 1 day a week, especially since a couple of girls who used to be in my group recently moved to the other to balance numbers (they are also higher-level).

There could be other reasons for putting you with this lower group, such as the ratio of gymnasts to coaches.

If you are stuck with this group you can use it to your advantage and make Saturday you refine and perfect the basics day. Some higher level gymnasts focus so much on higher level skills they forget to always refine and practice the basics. The gymnasts who works both higher level skills and basics will have the best gymnastics in the end. Remember everything is working towards a higher goal. If you are practice back handsprings on floor remember they are a lead up to back handsprings on beam and so on.

Working with less than motivated girls can also be helpful for you. Part of gymnastics is developing the ability to motivate yourself internally. If you are ever at a competition by yourself and the only one from your club you can rely on a team to start you up. A great gymnast can work under all situations and be motivated to work hard even if they are the only one in their group who is doing so.

If a girl takes forever to do her hair just step in front and say, "I'll quickly have a turn while your doing your hair", and take an extra turn. If you have to wait ages between turns don't just stand in line do a few presses, work yourself constantly.

Sorry, double-post: see below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Working with less than motivated girls can also be helpful for you. Part of gymnastics is developing the ability to motivate yourself internally. If you are ever at a competition by yourself and the only one from your club you can rely on a team to start you up. A great gymnast can work under all situations and be motivated to work hard even if they are the only one in their group who is doing so.

If a girl takes forever to do her hair just step in front and say, "I'll quickly have a turn while your doing your hair", and take an extra turn. If you have to wait ages between turns don't just stand in line do a few presses, work yourself constantly.

Yes, this is exactly my problem. There is simply not enough space to do alternate activities with 3-5 different team groups plus rec classes in the gym at one time. So I have to wait and wait and wait for my turn! When I bug the other girls in my group to hurry, or to let me go ahead, they snap at me...I don't always get along well with the girls in my group because of this motivation gap. And thank you so much for advising me to focus on basics! That is exactly the mindset I need to put myself in when I go in for practice, and that was my mistake today: focusing too much on the high-level skills I want to achieve.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! The older girls in my group are like that too! :mad:

I eventually just stopped caring what they thought of me- when someone's oodling around, not taking their turn, I go. If they complain, well, you snooze you lose. :D I'm not gonna waste my workout time just because your hair has to be done up a certain way or your eyeliner has gotten smeared. The worst part is when they whine because they "can't". They never want to go anywhere but floor, until we get to floor, that is... My coach is nice but I think he's given up trying to keep them in line. Thank god I'll be on team in the spring!

Definitely bring it up with your coach. You don't deserve these lower life forms.

You sounded smart, sensible, articulate, and reasonable in your post. I'm not a coach but I imagine a coach would read an email like that pretty sympathetically. I actually wondered if maybe your coach purposely left you with those girls in hopes you'd inspire and positively influence them with your motivation and work ethic.

This sounds like a tough situation. My dd has similar concerns. She is training level 7, in a group of 11 girls. 8 of them are training level 6. She is trying to be a leader of the group, but sometimes she gets very discouraged. I hope it works out for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News