Stupid Splits!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, so somewhere online it said that you could get your split almost all the way down if, for a month or a little more, you went in your split for 2 minutes. And that seemed reasonable, even though I was 5 inches from the ground; I figured I could get to at least 2 inches off the ground.

So I took this advice and for a little over a month, I did my spits (almost) every day, but I did them for 4 minutes or more. Sometimes I did them so long that it took me forever to get out of them in the end.

The reason I wanted my splits down was because tomorrow I go to gymnastics camp at a nearby college (the gymnasts actually coach us! :D) and for the 2 years I've been there, EVERYONE has had their splits down but me. They all stare at me. It's really embarrassing.

And even though I did all this, and I was so determined, I barely even got an inch down. Maybe I got a centimeter down. So, throughout 3 whole years I have been to this camp, I haven't even got an inch down in my split.

(And I haven't moved levels. Well, the first year, I was in the lowest level, but I was still being coached in the bad gym I started at. I was still too bad for that level, though. The next year, I had started gymnastics at my new gym, and I moved up a level but they tried to move me down because I still needed to be in the lowest level. I denied, because I made a really good friend in that level. But being in the higher level was torture; and since I'm a crybaby, I cried a lot because they were doing all these fancy things while I was learning my cartwheel on floor beam and my back handspring. So this year I was honest and decided to be the teen in the lowest group filled with 7 year olds. Not like I care, because I love gymnastics! The one friend I met last year is probably going to be back this year, and she has probably moved up levels, so I won't be in her level, but I'll make new (7 year old) friends! XD)

So... anyways... since that one split tip obviously didn't work... what do you suggest? (Like, how many minutes for how long?)

For both front splits and back splits, it can help to do other stretches as well as the actual splits. So for front splits, if you try lunges with a straight leg behind (don't let your knee go past your foot), and hamstring stretches (toe touches with flexed/ pointed feet). Box splits, you need to make sure you are flexible in your hips as well as legs, so if you sit in frog shape, and push/ let you knees go down gradually, as well as sitting in straddle and stretching forward/ side (these can be really good warm up stretches, before you actually go into splits). Kicks and leg holds lying either on your back or standing up can also really help (you can do these forward and to the side). Our coaches use partner stretching to get/ improve splits, and that can help too... and when you're actually in splits try and relax. It's really hard to do but, it's a much better stretch than if you are tense, because if you're tense, you're not really letting yourself go down (if that makes sense!). Sit in splits, relaxed, for at least a minute, come out give your legs a shake then try again. If you can practice your splits more than once a day that can help (little and often) :)
Hope this helps, and good luck with your splits! x

Well when I want to improve my slipts a little I hold them during commercials. For example after I hold my left split for the length of two commercials, then the right for two commercials, then my straddle split for two commercials. I also do pikes too. Another thing that help front splits improve is doing over splits. In the gym we use panel mats, but if you have anything around the house that is about a foot off the ground, you can even use some of your text books for school, you can use that. Put you front foot on the object and hold it then switch spilts. Then put your back foot up on the block and your front foot on the floor, then switch. You can do pike stretches too like that.

Also, I am not sure how this gym and camp are grouped, plus I don't know your ability, but people with not so great flexibilty can be pretty good too. My one friend is a level 8 and even though she is teased about her splits she isn't close to the ground but can still do all the level 8 skills. Just keep working hard when you are at the gym and keep trying to improve every day, even if your spilts aren't that great.

Good Luck and Keep Having Fun! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back