WAG Summer Camp for Optional Bars??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering if anyone had heard of a Summer Camp or Gymnast Workshop for Optional gymnasts where working on uneven bars was a focus? For example; getting a cast to handstand, improving giants, pirouette and release skills?

Yes. Perfection Gymnastics (Enrique Trabinino) is having one. They are in Ohio. They are having a couple of camps, details are on their website.

My daughter went to Chicago last year. She said it was good but still not enough bar work. I think it was two nights and 1/2 day Friday.

Kitkat - do you know where in Chicago? I have heard about a camp in Illinois and this might be it...
Thanks Gymdog! Checking into this! Many many thanks!

Kitkat - do you know where in Chicago? I have heard about a camp in Illinois and this might be it...
Thanks Gymdog! Checking into this! Many many thanks!

I am excited about the Perfection one. The owner is national team staff and does bar clinics at many USAG developmental events. They have been very accommodating in allowing coaches to attend as well.

Enrique is not on National Staff. Todd is on Developmental Staff on contract.

Okay, my mistake, but he has been at many clinics and TOPs events on bars, also there's other coaches coming in (don't remember this year, last year there were some good coaches and some NCAA coaches).

Our girls did Perfection last year. They loved the camp, and thought the staff was GREAT and learned some things, felt like it was mostly worthwhile overall. My DDs experience in the bar clinic was that the first day was good since they got to attempt single bar releases a few times and that was what she wanted to go for, but felt like the 2nd day of bar clinic wasn't good since they didn't get to try anything new (all drills). There were two bar groups on alternating days, and from what I hear the other group got to work releases both days. Coaches want them to go back this year, but I'm still debating - hard to stomach paying the $$ when I still have to pay gym tuition for the month.

Can a gymnast get enough "stuff" from a two day bar clinic to justify the cost? I'm assuming the cost is a couple of hundred dollars? That's pretty stiff unless there is a noticeable improvement in bars performance...at least for my poor checkbook. LOL

I am not sure that you can really get enough "stuff" from a camp.
My daughter went to IGI as it had the extra bar component. She loved it. No she didn't get "stuff" as the skills she is working on takes months to get. But that really goes the same for any of her other skills whether it be floor, beam or vault.

In my experience for her -when she goes to camp - she is either already really close to getting something or its been the start of something new. At Woodward one year - she got her giant. I think that she would have gotten her giant at home but it just happened that week at Woodward.

Sometimes they get to try things that they may not be able to try at home due to equipment or the way their coaches chose the gymnast to learn skills. Our coaches typically follow the - First you have to do this and then you do that. At a camp - if they want to try something out of order they can.

Again I am only speaking from our experiences - but if you really want a bar camp. Go to Woodward or IGC. As you only have to do the mandatory training once. Then you have open gym two or three other times during the day. At Woodward there is always someone in the bar gym. You could spend your entire time on the bars if thats what you really wanted - or if your hands could handle it ;)

I am not convinced that the additional ad on is worth it. My dd loved it but she wanted more bars and it wasn't enough.

Or for the amount you are spending for her to go to camp. Consider privates. You get a lot more dedicated time on whatever it is you want.

Can a gymnast get enough "stuff" from a two day bar clinic to justify the cost? I'm assuming the cost is a couple of hundred dollars? That's pretty stiff unless there is a noticeable improvement in bars performance...at least for my poor checkbook. LOL

Depends if the coach goes with then to learn the drills and program as well. Also, if they are close to doing something, or something their coach can't spot (single bar release) then it will be helpful to get the initial feeling, then maybe they can go back and continue working on it with less spotting.

Also to be exposed to other technical coaching might help something click for them technique wise on skills they can already do.

Any exposure is helpful really...of course, it's not like you'll learn a tkatchev coming from 0 in two days. Just like how when people say "my kid can't do a BHS without jumping on their head, will a private lesson work?" It's going to help most in refining what they already have or getting something they're extremely close to to click.

Boise State has a great camp. Neil Resnick does the bars and he is amazing on bars. When my daughter did the camp she started learning her tkatchev there. Also, Todd Gardiner(sp) was the vault coach when we were there. On the plus side the other 2 events were great too. Patty Resnick does the beam and floor and I think she may have had something to do with the national USAG at some point. She also does awesome floor choreography. I do know that they fill up fast and I think it is only 1 week. From a parent perspective, there are some great wineries around!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back