Parents Summer Hour Increase? Yes or No?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does your gym increase team hours in the summer?

• Yes: Compulsory +1-2 hours/week

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Yes: Compulsory +3-4 hours/week

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Yes: Compulsory +5 or more hours/week

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes: Optional +1-2 hours/week

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes: Optional +3-4 hours/week

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes: Optional +5-6 hours/week

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes: Optional +7 or more hours/week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No...we decrease

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Does your team increase hours in the summer?

Our gym uses summer time to have the team girls take a flexibility/conditioning class. This class meets four hours a week so it does add a lot more hours to her training. Her regular class adds two hours so she goes from 6 hours during regular season up to 12 hours in the summer.

The girls get more hours but that is because they move up in June. My lvl 4 will go from 6 to 12hrs and my 7 from 16 to 20hr, in the fall she will add in about 5 more.

Our gym uses summer time to have the team girls take a flexibility/conditioning class. This class meets four hours a week so it does add a lot more hours to her training. Her regular class adds two hours so she goes from 6 hours during regular season up to 12 hours in the summer.

Hi Bella's Mom

How does this flexibility/strength class work? A full 4 hours? What is the structure like?

Coacherella I saw that too and thought *wow* and then I started wondering if the extra 4 hours of conditioning was just an hour added on to the end of each practice 4 days a week. Or is it 4 hours of conditioning 1 time a week?

My level 4 will be going from 9 hours to 12 in the summer (from 3 evenings to 4 mornings). They're going to work on extreme endurance and hammering the routines. Our level 5-6 team is going from 11 hours to 16 hours in the summer.

My dd is very excited for the additional hours and hardcore training, but she lives for gymnastics. "Bring it on" she says. lol

Anna's group is being bumped up to train Level 4 so she'll be going from 3 hours a week to 7 hours a week... From 1.5 x 2 days/week to 3.5 x 2 days per week. Not sure how she's going to handle that. It'll definitely be interesting.

So for her, her hours will increase since she's going up a level but I think the Level 4's stay the same through the summer. I believe the higher level girls pick up some extra summer hours though.

Hi Bella's Mom

How does this flexibility/strength class work? A full 4 hours? What is the structure like?

Our gym has three "Shapes" (name of the class) sessions. We are in the first one right now since the competition season is over and move ups have occured. Right now, the girls meet two hours on Sundays. This is in addition to our regular night classes that meet twice a week for three hours each.

In summer, Shapes will meet twice a week, two hours each time. One meeting is before a training session and one meeting is after. So for my daughter, her schedule is gymnastics from 9-12 on Tuesday, shapes from 9-11 then gymnastics from 11:30 - 1:30 on Wednesday, and then gymnastics from 9-12 followed by shapes from 12:30 to 2:30 on Friday.

During shapes, the girls do no formal gymnastics. What they do is a LOT of conditioning....rope, situps, pull ups, tons of ab work, and then lots of stretching with quite a bit of time spent on oversplits of various forms. My daughter is crazy strong so I'm not seeing a lot of strength increase but flexibility has already improved and we are just in the first session. I truly believe that my daughter will have splits both ways by the end of summer. She went from being a good foot away from floor on center splits to lacking about 4 inches right now.

Cool. I really love the idea of the Shapes Class. We do something similar but just built it into the hour ending off each training day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back