WAG Summer hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ekat

Proud Parent
Sorry to beat the dead horse (this probably has been posted before), but I need some viewpoints to make my decision. So ‘tis the time to look at the day camp flex account and make plans for next summer already.
Our gym requires (but doesnt really enforce)girls to put in 3 to 4 weeks of full days practices (9am to 5pm) during which they have about an hour lunch and rest is training. DD didn’t do it last year as her pediatrician told us she should not do more than 4hr practices at the time due to 3 ankle sprains during the competition season.
Sorry to be so blunt but I am just wondering if it’s a waste of time. Nobody can keep putting an effective workout for 3 hrs. then 1hr break then 4hrs. I mean I remember in college having a morning practice and an evening practice (different sport), but we had pretty much a whole day in between to eat, rest, sleep through some classes.:rolleyes: I have accepted the 3 to 4 hrs. practices during the school year and breaks, but who can work out for 7 hrs. pretty much continuously? And the more tired she is the more chances she will re-injure her ankle. My DD loves to explore other activities and camps, hang out with her friends, she doesn’t get to do much during the school year, and now sounds like it will be the same during the summer.
I am looking for some viewpoints, maybe I am missing something. How much time do you take off during the summer?

Well, my gym is closed in the summer and we have a 5 weak break. And yes you lose strength, but as soon as that is back and you don't have mental blocks,the skils will be back in no time. Of course it is not ideal but we managed, our competitions start about 3 months after our summer break.
But if everyone else keeps training and she doesn't , she will be behind. I think 7 hours a day is way too much. If it is posible to just do 3 or 4 let her do it, she might burn out if she has to go more than she wants.

How old is your DD? As a gymnasts I used to train from 12:00PM-7:30PM with a thirty minute break. It was never a problem a lot has to do with how work outs are structured.

As a coach I wouldn't have my gymnasts do it because not every child's body is up to doing it and the risk of a kid getting injured would be too great.

Our girls have a three week break, then train the same hours in the summer as the winter, but move them all to week days..... 5 days x 5 hours. DD was DONE by Fridays (although it was a big jump to these hours for her).

My DD is going to turn 9 next summer. Hopefully she will be training level 6 or 7. Out gym doesn't really have any time off but all the girls take time off during the summer. I am planning for DD to take July off to go to other camps and family vacation. Our short weeks are 4 hr long practices 4 to 5 days a week. The long weeks are 8 hrs long practices with an hour lunch. If DD takes July off, that means she will have to spend most of August in the "long day practices" :eek:

Our gym keeps the same hours during the summer. They may add some clinics or special practices, especially for the optional girls, but generally the same hours. It's encouraged to take family vacations etc earlier in the summer instead of later, and the girls are encouraged to not take too much time off. It's expected that they are there to practice during the summer with the same commitment as the rest of the year.

Our gym holds the same hours during the summer as during the school year, except that team practice moves to daytime hours instead of evening ones. Our coach has no issue with girls missing a week or two for vacation or to go to camp, but expects attendance to be regular other than that.

DD's gym has the same hours in the summer as well, except several of the practices are moved to the day time. I have heard of some gyms having "camp" for a week or 2 where the girls go all day, but never for the entire summer. Not sure I'd want mine doing that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back