Parents Summer in the new gym!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

Since there seem to be so many of us that have recently made a switch to a new gym, I just thought we'd like to share how our gymmie's summers are going.

Olivia is very happy. She actually looks forward to going to practice every day. That never happened at the old gym. Before, she'd wake up and ask "do I have to go to gym today?". Now it's "I wonder what we're going to do today!" I'm also very happy with the new gym. I think I've had a conversation with her new coach more in the last month then I did in 5 years at the old gym. No lie. If I wanted to speak to the old coaches I had to practically follow them around like a lost puppy after practice. It's refreshing to actually have a coach come up to me and tell me how well she's doing, how much stronger she's getting, what skills she got the day before, etc. Aside from missing her friends, and me missing the relationships with the parents, I'm so glad we changed gyms. People are going to get tired of me saying that! :rolleyes:

I also read some posts about it being hot in the gym. I live in Eastern PA where it's not necessarily the heat, it's the humidity. It can be a nice 80° but feel like 95. Thankfully they have the air on in our gym, not too cold but not unbearably warm. Olivia said they do sweat! I feel for those of you that don't have air. Someone told me about another gym in our area that starts at 6:00am to try and avoid some of the heat. No thank you!

Thats great that Olivia is so happy and the coaches are so communicative!

We also are happy. J is loving the new gym and how she is being challenged. The old gym was much larger and more chaotic. I also miss the parent friendships I made at the other gym. I have not met any parents at all so far, very different from the other gym.

Hope the rest of the summer is awesome for Olivia!

Glad to hear things are going so well, and just wanted to say...my dd and ds are soooo envious of the ac!!! our gym has a swamp cooler that isn't working so well right now bc humidity is up, and since most schools start at the end of july, during the first week of august they are back to afternoon practices at it will be HOT!! (we hit 115 at least in august.)

not much fun.:(

anyway, tell them to enjoy that ac!!

So glad the girls are doing well in their new gyms :) and hopefully they will have a fun year too. This year my gymmie is in a new building and it has ac but our other friends gym closed last week due to heat since they had no ac and were suppose to be in their new building by now. Here in NJ its been hot and muggy but Azgymmiemom wow 115--ahhh that is hot :eek: hope it doesn't go there or they pass out ice cubes at practice LOL

Very glad that Olivia is loving her new gym!!! It is always great when a gym change turns out the way you hoped. :)

It is hot here, too, they are doing morning practices, but they go back to regular schedule in a few weeks because school starts. So it will be super hot again. It is hot in the a.m., but not as bad as the p.m. Lots and lots of water for sure. They have swamp coolers, but they don't do much. The fans do help though.

We switched in May and are still getting used to the new gym. It is much larger than the old gym. Emma was one of the best gymnasts at her old gym and that was really nice for her. At the new gym - she is average. Not in a bad way, but everyone seems to be very good, try really hard and take it very seriously. she fits in perfectly with the level they put her at. But there are 30 girls at that level, not a handful whose skills are drastically different from each other even though they say they are the same level.

That being said, she loves it. Many of her friends from the old gym are at the new gym too, so that helps. I am very happy we switched, as she is learning so much more here and is getting much better coaching.

I'm glad to hear everyone has had positive gym changes. Changing gyms must be so difficult. DD has only been doing gym for 1.5 years and team since March and I'm already attached. Congrats for making positive changes for your kiddos!

Glad Olivia is doing good at the new gym and it was the right move. It is great that they have air conditioning and that the communication is better, I know that is the one thing that really bugs me about my daughters gym is they never let you know what is going on. I think her giants looked great for her just learning them! Good luck to her in the coming up season.

Wish I lived in Pa, I would swap gyms again in a happy heartbeat just for the air! There are two sections to our gym and the smaller section does seem to have some air sometimes, but mostly I think they do without.

I am so glad your happy w/ your gym change. I can just tell how happy you BOTH are from your posts. I know it is a scarey thing to do at first, especially when you first start the team at a gym you have that sense of loyalty, but it is a bussiness and I hate that my feelings of "loyalty" kept me & DD at old gym longer than I should have stayed.

I think communication with parents is great! I think that as parents we deserve the opportunity to be able to speak with coaches. Heck, even during the school year you are allowed parent/teacher conferences right? Not sure why owners and coaches are so uncomfortable dealing w/parents.

BTW, remember my friend? The new gym her DD is at has those nasty 6:30am morning practices. We could never do those, we are never on time to the 10am practices, LOL

We are so happy for Olivia, and I have a hunch she will have an awesome year!

Great Olivia update - so glad to hear she is thriving at the new gym! It makes it so much easier to look back and say "yeah, we did the right thing!"

Is Olivia's comp season in the Fall? It's right around the corner.... L6, right?

I think communication with parents is great! I think that as parents we deserve the opportunity to be able to speak with coaches. Heck, even during the school year you are allowed parent/teacher conferences right? Not sure why owners and coaches are so uncomfortable dealing w/parents

I wish I could tape this quote to our Gym owner's door for her to read every single day. LOL! :)

Great Olivia update - so glad to hear she is thriving at the new gym! It makes it so much easier to look back and say "yeah, we did the right thing!"

Is Olivia's comp season in the Fall? It's right around the corner.... L6, right?

Well, she compted Level 6 last year. I don't know what their plans are for the upcoming season. They'll tell them at the end of the summer. From what I can tell she'll probably do a few meets at level 6 then switch over to level 7. It depends on what skills they have. It's all up to her!! We already picked floor music, with the choreographer's okay, so it's just a matter of when she'll get to work on a routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back