Parents Summer practice hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Summer hours is what helped me get through the stress of my dd getting home at 9:15 and rushing to bed by 10, during the school year, for so many years. To me that was a big hardship. Summer hours definitely makes me feel a more "normal" family situation. I love them... Logistically, with a little luck, and a little planning, things always seem to fall into place.

I live in an area where about half the elementary and middle schools are year round. DD only started at her gym last June but practices were all evening, same hours as school year. I'm sure it's different for the optionals especially if they are in high school. Her gym has a reputation of being strict, but they are really quite flexible and want the kids to excel in school first.

Depends on level at our gym. The little ones tend to still work out in the evenings or at least afternoons during the summer whereas the Optionals (who can be as young as 8-9) almost always work out in the morning/middle of day. A normal schedule for them would be 8-12 some days, 11-3 other days. The compulsory coaches try more to keep things consistent for the younger ones and may choose to keep the "normal" schedule of say 4-7pm. The gym tends to get really hot later in the day which also is a factor in having the older girls practice earlier (there is decent AC but it is still a metal industrial building and our summer temps are almost always triple digits...).

Yes that is normal for our gym. Coaches have practice in the afternoon during the school year simply to work with school schedules. We also don't have practice on the weekends in the summer.

For working parents, some have their sitter or nanny drive their gymnast to the gym, they carpool with other families, or grandma drives :)

Our last gym kept the same hours all year round, with optional daytime additional practices during the summer. Current gym switches about half of their practices to mid-day but still offers some days of late afternoon/evening. Ever since A has been on team her practices have mostly started before I get home from work. I found a car service that specializes in transporting kids from school/home to things like sports practices. It has been great, though it does add about $100 a month to the other monthly expenses. During the summer we'll probably end up having car service drive both ways for most practices.

Or gym does a summer schedule for optionals as well, but it's even more frustrating as my DD is in year round schooling, so is only able to train with her team for 3 weeks out of the summer. She spends the rest of the time mixed in with a handful of other girls with the same issue and whatever XCEL team is going that night. A number of the other optional girls are home schooled or on a traditional calendar, but I don't think home school is a good fit for my 3rd grader (I home schooled one of my oldest, so it's not about having home school fears). Maybe in 3 years when she won't need 4+ hours a day from parent support to get through the curriculum.

Reactions: sce
I've been thinking about hiring a "nanny" or someone over the summer to do this, as well as a car service. The hard part is our gym doesn't have summer schedules set yet (which is understandable since its state and regional meet season, not to mention our HC has been out of the country due to Jeselo trophy or however you spell it.) I am also going to look at other gyms again since this might be impossible to coordinate with DD's summer camp schedule, hopefully there's a gym in the area that has better hours for working parents. I really like DD's gym since they are the best in the state, but it just might not work.

I wish I could just win the lottery so I could quit my job, but that's not a realistic solution lol.

My daughter loves gym, I asked her the other day "if you could do a sport other than gymnastics what would it be?"

She said "ballet...or nothing" so I think that kind of solidifies my options haha.

Or gym does a summer schedule for optionals as well, but it's even more frustrating as my DD is in year round schooling, so is only able to train with her team for 3 weeks out of the summer. She spends the rest of the time mixed in with a handful of other girls with the same issue and whatever XCEL team is going that night. A number of the other optional girls are home schooled or on a traditional calendar, but I don't think home school is a good fit for my 3rd grader (I home schooled one of my oldest, so it's not about having home school fears). Maybe in 3 years when she won't need 4+ hours a day from parent support to get through the curriculum.

I'm surprised they still have daytime hours during the summer with the year round schedule. I would be upset if dd's gym did that. They do have a group of optional girls that train during the day year round (and all the level 10's train something like 11-4), but they also have an evening group. And the daytime group is not during the summer only.. it's for girls that either home school or do some form of alternative schooling. All the compulsories start at 3:30 or later, which I still think is too early as some schools don't get out until 3:45.

I do think there might be more year round schools in my area of the county though, so maybe that makes a difference? I think at least 3/4th of my dd's team are year round, scattered over 4-5 different schools.

I do think there might be more year round schools in my area of the county though, so maybe that makes a difference? I think at least 3/4th of my dd's team are year round, scattered over 4-5 different schools.
This has a lot to do with things. Our state doesn't do year round school. So "summer hours" are the norm.

This has a lot to do with things. Our state doesn't do year round school. So "summer hours" are the norm.

Lol. I know that most states don't do year round. I was just replying to ProudDad who lives in the same county as me, where year round schools are common. But even in our county, there are certain areas with more year round schools than other areas. I don't think it would fly in my town to have teams practice during the daytime, but apparently in his town (<20 miles from mine) it does happen. I was just a little surprised. :)

For the OP: You are lucky to have found this forum so early in your daughter's gym journey. :) Regarding your question, as far as I know, every gym in our area moves team practice to days in the summer...and also on spring break, and Christmas break and random school holidays. You have already noticed how this sport is not very accommodating for households with two working parents. I think it's important to note, that this is really just the beginning for your family. Last year, 5 of Kipper's meets were on a Friday and one was a Thursday. All of them required me to miss time from work. Her gym also frequently schedules parent/ team meetings at 4pm. Unfortunately, we've been to the chiropractor, sports doc or urgent care about 6 times this year, and it's only March. Granted, this isn't typical, but it's not totally unexpected. At some point there will be an injury, or a growth-related issue like severs, or just a minor, persistent complaint that needs to be evaluated since 1) it's meet season and 2) your dd is hoping to make it through this weekend's meet and 3) you want her body to last into old age. Regardless, it's more time off of work. I office from home and have a great deal of flexibility. Carpools and grandparents help round out my support "team". I don't want to scare you away from the sport. It is unique and wonderful in so many ways. Just be prepared for the inconveniences to multiply.

YES!!!! so much truth from Joy! This sport just gets more and more inconvenient, missed school days, missed work days, doctor's appointments, missed birthday parties and family events, no summer camp, being held to the weeks gym is close for summer holidays, the list goes on and on. The more I write it the more I wonder if I'm crazy for doing this, lol!

This will be dd's first summer doing gymnastics, but I was able to look at last year's schedule and everyone had daytime practices so I'm assuming it'll be the same this summer. Changing it for school breaks makes sense to me.

I am crossing my fingers for daytime practices this year.... it's inconvenient for a family with 2 working parents, but I would love to get home those nights a week before 9:15 pm. :rolleyes:
I'm with you. I know it was hard on a few people (not as many as you'd think- we're in a fairly affluent area), but I loved no nights or weekends. It made it feel like we were almost a normal four person family for a little while.

For the OP: You are lucky to have found this forum so early in your daughter's gym journey. :) Regarding your question, as far as I know, every gym in our area moves team practice to days in the summer...and also on spring break, and Christmas break and random school holidays. You have already noticed how this sport is not very accommodating for households with two working parents. I think it's important to note, that this is really just the beginning for your family. Last year, 5 of Kipper's meets were on a Friday and one was a Thursday. All of them required me to miss time from work. Her gym also frequently schedules parent/ team meetings at 4pm. Unfortunately, we've been to the chiropractor, sports doc or urgent care about 6 times this year, and it's only March. Granted, this isn't typical, but it's not totally unexpected. At some point there will be an injury, or a growth-related issue like severs, or just a minor, persistent complaint that needs to be evaluated since 1) it's meet season and 2) your dd is hoping to make it through this weekend's meet and 3) you want her body to last into old age. Regardless, it's more time off of work. I office from home and have a great deal of flexibility. Carpools and grandparents help round out my support "team". I don't want to scare you away from the sport. It is unique and wonderful in so many ways. Just be prepared for the inconveniences to multiply.
Very true!!! And just to piggy back onto your thread, expenses also.... This morning I roughly added up our expense of being committed to gymnastics for just this month and it easily came to $1,000.

My DD had her first summer practices last year, it was every day early morning, for 4 hrs. I thought she was going to hate it because she would have to be up early every day...no summer if you can't sleep in, right? Well she loved it! I tried to convince her to take a day off every one in a while it she refused! Plus, if I'm paying that $$$$, I would rather her not miss. Bye bye summer vacation, welcome to gymnastics!

Our gym has summer camp and the team gymnast received a discounted price. The gymnast would change into a leo go to practice and then return to camp for the remainder of the day. Maybe your gym will work with you on this or maybe see if you can work something out with another mom

My DD is going to Gymnastic summer classes . She stays there for 5 Hours a day. The Good thing is, in afternoon session, camp trainers provides some snack to all members .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back