Parents Sweet 16

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My oldest daughter has been asked to be a VIP on about 5 sweet 16 parties. They needed to have the same dresses and shoes. Some were very lavish and some a little more modest. But between the dresses, shoes, matching accessories and gifts, it was getting ridiculous. (Now my 13 gymnast has already been a VIP to one sweet 16 and another one coming up in a few weeks.). Anyway, she just informed me she again was invited to another Sweet 16 in February. It is a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas via Royal Caribbean. What gift does not give to a celebration like this when the cost of the cruise per person is around $1,200? I want to give an appropriate gift, but I am afraid to even know what is appropriate. Anyone had a similar experience and what present did you give?

Sorry for the grammatical errors they were really typographical or negligence in not proofreading before sending.:)

Do you have to pay for the cruise or is it paid for by the birthday girl's family? Your answer will determine whether I wish I had richer friends or whether I'm really glad my friends are all pretty much in the same socioeconomic bracket as I am.

I am definitely not in the right socioeconomic bracket to know what the appropriate gift is for someone celebrating her 16th birthday with a 7-day cruise so I won't even try. Sounds like fun though!

What is a VIP at a sweet 16? Sounds like bridesmaids at a wedding.

I have never heard of such a thing as matching dresses and shoes. I have heard of taking a few friends on a long weekend or something. I wouldn't worry about the cost of the gift. Do what you would do for others. Someone spending that money on this celebration isn't looking for an extravagant gift.

Wow, this is a whole different economic world than I live in (although I guess I live 'near' it). Teens we know go to a movie and maybe get a cheap manicure together. Maybe a cake from the grocery store (or homemade) by mom.

I like the other suggestion of something handmade/personal. I don't know what economic bracket you are in yourself. But regardless, I would hope the generous hosts would not be expecting something lavish, and would value the thought over monetary value. Else, find different friends anyway (after the cruise, though - definitely go on the cruise before dumping the friends...) LOL!

Are you in the US or a foreign country? Man, I have a lot to learn. I hope my kid never gets asked to do this- haha

Yikes! I have a daughter turning 16 next week and I have never heard of anything like this before ... and I am actually feeling quite relieved! All she asked for was a laser tag party and a Pandora bracelet. Sounds like quite the bargain now!

I agree with the others that suggested something handmade.

Do you have to pay for the cruise or is it paid for by the birthday girl's family? Your answer will determine whether I wish I had richer friends or whether I'm really glad my friends are all pretty much in the same socioeconomic bracket as I am.

I am definitely not in the right socioeconomic bracket to know what the appropriate gift is for someone celebrating her 16th birthday with a 7-day cruise so I won't even try. Sounds like fun though!

The birthday girl's family is paying for the cruise. My daughter will likely not be going if I had to pay for it. :eek: Btw, I've never even met the birthday girl. She is not in my daughter's close circle of friends though my daughter claims they are close and "they talk everyday". I have to say my daughter seems to have people that really like her.

Hoping I get some suggestions from this forum. If not, I'll just ask my daughter to do some "research" with her friends, those that have gone on a similar type celebration and those who are going to this one.

Gosh, from all the posts above, I feel this is not common. I am a naturalized American. I'm originally from Asia (not China though--not that there is anything wrong with China). In my native country we celebrate the 18th birthday which is a debutant's ball. So, I just assumed everyone in the US celebrated Sweet 16 in a somewhat grand fashion,

I like ginnymac's suggestion but I am not crafty, nor is my daughter or creative. I too do not think the birthday girl is expecting anything outrageous. But just wondered what suggestions I'd get. I've always given cash at these Sweet 16. It seems it is what everyone is doing and what the 16 year olds want. But cash in this instance does not seem appropriate.

have you tried a google search? I am sure there has to be some articles about these types of parties. We don't live in an area where sweet 16 parties are popular.

The birthday girl's family is paying for the cruise.

Yup. Definitely need to get me some rich friends! ;)

I think I would go with something personal since the birthday girl can obviously afford to buy whatever she wants. Does your DD have a picture of the two of them together? You could have a cute pic made into a pillow with a funny saying or something. Just about any photo website offers stuff like that. Or look on Etsy. It's the website for people who wish they could make beautiful, personal gifts but can't (like me).

There is no way on this earth I would send my daughter on a cruise for a week with a family I have never met (let alone the fact that you've never even met the KID!!) Not a single chance. I assume this cruise is going to ports outside the country? And that chances are that alcohol will be flowing rather freely? Uh-uh. Never. Not in a million years.

I would say no to the cruise. Give a nice personal gift. You and your dd can take classes at scrapbooking places like JoAnns or Archivers. I suggest taking one to make a scrapbook for her. If you have never even met the girl then they can't be too close of friends.

Yup. Definitely need to get me some rich friends! ;)

I think I would go with something personal since the birthday girl can obviously afford to buy whatever she wants. Does your DD have a picture of the two of them together? You could have a cute pic made into a pillow with a funny saying or something. Just about any photo website offers stuff like that. Or look on Etsy. It's the website for people who wish they could make beautiful, personal gifts but can't (like me).

hahaha, wish someone was paying for me to go on a cruise!

How many kids are going if your dd isn't even a close friend?

I also was going to suggest etsy.

LOL you sure your dd isn't claiming great friendship with this girl so you don't say she can't go!

16 birthday parties around here are usually at the family home or a hall, often themed but nothing extravagant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back