Parents Sweet 16

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
No judgment here, but also not a lot of advice in the way of gifts. Sweet 16 isn't a huge deal in our area.

Maybe the girls who will be attending can brainstorm some ideas? If the family can afford to take a group of girls on an extravagant vacation, then I am guessing there isn't a lot that the young lady doesn't already have. With that in mind, I would also lean toward something more personal.

You know your daughter best and I am sure you will make the right decision for your family. I would trust my 16 year old daughter to go on a similar trip, if offered. My daughter is planning an Hawaiian trip with her best friend for next summer. They will stay with our cousin, a person her best friend's family has never met. But, the BFF's family knows us and trusts our judgment. These are kids that are nearing adulthood. In another year (I am guessing your daughter is a Junior based on age), they will graduate and be full adults. If you have never lived through this age or the imminent prospect that your child will soon be an adult, it's much easier to pass judgment on what you would or would not allow. I never understood the true anxiety of having a teenage driver, until it was my own child behind the wheel. Living through that is enough to take years off an average person's life span. I feel like I can survive anything now. Good luck!

Wow!! That sounds extravagant. I can't imagine taking a bunch of 16 year olds on a cruise, but I'm sure those parents are very popular. What about getting something that can be used on the cruise like a beach towel embrodiered with the cruise info and date and birthday girl's name etc and some sunglasses and sunscreen etc.

Those parties are crazy. Makes me feel slightly less crazy for considering letting my 9 yo dd go with a friend on a weeks vacation out of country this summer. But I know the friend and her parents and all I have to pay for is airfare.

Personally I hope we never have this problem at 16. I've never heard of it.

That said I don't think I would let my kid go on a cruise until I had met the kid and the parents.

Oh my, I can't imagine NOT letting my child go on an all-expenses paid cruise were one offered. Try living that one down! You'd be 100 years old, on your death bed, and she'd STILL be saying, "remember that cruise you wouldn't let me go on?" That said, I would be worried about supervision. Perhaps MORE for the 17-year-old than the 13-year-old!

Yes, I think it must be a regional thing, because I have never heard of such a thing. I let my kids have a "big" party for 13 and the next "big" party will be at 16. But by "big" I mean they had a pool party with a handful of friends at a local indoor pool. I do think "sweet 16" is considered a milestone birthday, maybe because of being able to get your driver's license. For my 16th birthday, I had a hay ride. With BOYS! :cool:
Too funny Mary!

I think sweet 16 is reminiscent of the debutante celebrations of the past. Thus also why it seems to be a bigger deal to those in the higher economic brackets. It also sounds a bit like the quincinera celebrations in the hispanic community.

I personally have never experienced anything like it.

LOL, I thought you meant your 13 year old was invited on this sweet 16 cruise with a friend, which I would most likely say no to. For a 16 year old to go with other 16 year olds is a different story. Then it is a maybe, need to look into more, which is what you are doing.

To the OP, your original post did make it sound like it was the 13 yr old gymmie invited to the cruise, lol. I would let my 14 yr old go away with a family if I knew and trusted them, but she would not want to go during meet season ;)

We live in the north east and humongous sweet 16's are a "thing" here. A VIP here would be called "the court".

My oldest dd (almost 18) was invited to a week in Punta Cana with her BFF's family for the older sister's wedding when she was 16. We had known the family for years, so we let her go, paid for her portion of the trip and gave a gift comparable to what we would have given as a wedding gift locally. If they had paid for her trip, (around $1000) I would probably have doubled the gift.

So this is a North East thing? I live in California and have never heard of anything like this for 16th birthdays.

As for the cruise part I went on a cruise at 17 with my best friend, no parents involved. It was my end of high school trip.
I wouldn't consider 16/17 as too young to go away.

I live in Fairfield County, CT-- a very well off area. I have teens and have never heard of the VIP. Although extravagant bar/bat mitzvahs are common, as is bringing friends away for a weekend or vacation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back