Coaches Switching programs...is there ANY graceful way to do it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CoachGoofy

If this belongs elsewhere, by all means, move it.

So, is there any graceful way, at all, for a coach to switch gyms? Currently I coach in a small compulsory program that has its ups and downs (rather not get too detailed publically--the internets is public, gymnastics is small, etc).

But another gym just offered me basically my dream job. I want it. Ideally with a minimum of drama, tears, and hard feelings. Does this happen? How?

Depends very heavily on the details of the personal politics at your gym, I think.

Whatever the case, I'd say you gotta do what's best for you. Good luck!

I kind of hate politics =(

I couldn't have asked for better gymnasts, or better team families. I will miss them like crazy. I will not miss the organizational structure, who I fear will make transitioning difficult for everyone.

So much for the magic words or something.

Really, I am super mega excited (when not feeling like the worst coach ever for leaving my current gym). This is probably THE BEST JOB EVER. It had my name engraved on it. It'll be awesome and amazing and wonderful if there's minimal drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, competition season is over - give your two weeks and be professional about it. Kids are incredibly resillient, and they will learn to like their new coach and be super happy to see you at meets. Those that aren't will have a life lesson opportunity to make lemonade out of lemons, or have nothing at all.

It sounds like you are moving up in the gym world; its like any other step in a career. Do what is right for you.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Ryan

My boss is being very weird about it (not unexpected. This kind of weird, unexpected).

The parents have been nothing but wonderful. This is good, though I'm going to REALLY miss our families. They're kind of fantastic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back