The drunken, club-footed orangutan in the room

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Beamer, I think Prep Op is a great option too! DD did L5 this year and because states was so early, her coaches allowed the L5s to do a few Prep Op meets this spring. DD loved it...so much fun, more relaxed, etc!!

My dd repeated a level 3 times and it really forced her to get the form thing down. Painful for me to watch yes, but it was good in the end.

Some gymnasts just aren't very good at at scoring well at the compulsory levels. We have a few optionals at our gym that were just horrible at level 5 and 6, but to great now at level 9.

One gymnasts was a level 5, scoring in the 29-30 range. She could do the skills, but was just all over the place. She did get the minimum required score one time, so she was moved to level 6 because her coach new she had tons of potential, but just couldn't do a level 5 routine. At level 6, she started scoring in the 32-33 range...so the coach moved her to 7 and she just finished her level 7 season scoring in the high 35's. She's already got her level 8 skills. The higher the level, the cleaner she gets.

Some kids just aren't made for the compulsories. Prep Op (aka xcel) is an option, depending on your teams program. At our gym, it's more of a fun thing for kids who want to compete, but not really train. Other gyms use it as a developmental program preparing them for the optional levels

Some gymnasts just aren't very good at at scoring well at the compulsory levels.

...and this was my kid...highest score as a compulsory was 32.2 (and that's for Levels 4,5 and 6) but her coaches somehow knew she'd be a better optional gymnast so they scored her out of 6 and she went to 7 for a few meets and on to a season of 8 where she won every meet she was in...fast forward, she's been a 10 for 7 years, has been to JOs every yr and has won at Nationals so my message is do not despair, compulsories doesn't make the gymnast. We've known some phenomenal compulsories (37+ every meet) that couldn't make the transition to Optionals so you just never know..

...and this was my kid...highest score as a compulsory was 32.2 (and that's for Levels 4,5 and 6) but her coaches somehow knew she'd be a better optional gymnast

That is such an awesome story. Good thing the coaches saw through those compulsory scores and knew her potential. Just imagine how different your lives would be today if the coaches didn't see that potential and had her stay in 4-5-6 trying to get that big score.

That is such an awesome story. Good thing the coaches saw through those compulsory scores and knew her potential. Just imagine how different your lives would be today if the coaches didn't see that potential and had her stay in 4-5-6 trying to get that big score.

You're right! Our lives would be so much different...and she wouldn't be going to college on a full gymnastics scholarship!!

Given the other issues (lack of flexibility for one) I am not sure she will be grinning from that podium if she makes it through compulsories to optionals! But I still like the vision of a teenaged DD smiling -- healthy and happy with her teammates at meets and at gym practices -- happy to be there, getting a medal or two once in a while.

And I like this vision a whole lot better than the one of the teenaged mall rat, Facebooking and texting away and otherwise squandering time meaninglessly!

Our goal is to keep her involved in the sport she loves.

If it means she has no time for boys and dating, well then...even better!

Given the other issues (lack of flexibility for one) I am not sure she will be grinning from that podium if she makes it through compulsories to optionals! !

Dont underestimate her :) my D's "stretch buddy" is our Level 10 bar, floor and AA state champ. They are stretch buddies because they are the 2 least flexible kids on the team! They work at it everyday, even on days off.

Given the other issues (lack of flexibility for one) I am not sure she will be grinning from that podium if she makes it through compulsories to optionals! But I still like the vision of a teenaged DD smiling -- healthy and happy with her teammates at meets and at gym practices -- happy to be there, getting a medal or two once in a while.

And I like this vision a whole lot better than the one of the teenaged mall rat, Facebooking and texting away and otherwise squandering time meaninglessly!

Our goal is to keep her involved in the sport she loves.

If it means she has no time for boys and dating, well then...even better!

This is our plan too! Dad does crossfit for added insurance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back