the fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

fearovercomer

i have the biggest fear of flyaway in the gym. im not even scared of hitting my toes on the bar. its just ...flipping i no its weird but when i was seven at my old gym i used to do flyaways on the low bar and i hit my toes.i always went over i was just alittle scared to let go ,so i heald on till the last minute.when i got grips i started using them as an exuse of doing flyaway. i havnt done it fast since.

im at my new gym now and bars is my least favourite just beacause of the fear.... it used to be my favourite event!!!! its my first year in level six and all my friends hav their flyaway. and for the last week i hav been going home crying saying to my mom "why wont i do it because i no i can , just th fears getting in the way."

i talk to my friends every time in bars saying whats the hardest part in a fly away the first time??? and they say the hardest and scariest part of flyaway is honestly saying yes i will go over. so for all people including me who are scared of flyaway...guess what... that one sentance yes i am going to go over is the only thing holding us bak! so before even thinking after they ask u "do u want to go over say yes!":D

I have this problem too! And the fear isnt in hitting my toes, and i am competing L7 or L8 at my competition in the US this year (from Canada) so i NEED it!
I have done it a few times but what i find also is the longer you don't do it for the scarier they get, if you commit one day, and set yourself a goal (like going for 5) every time you are at bars, they will become less scary!
I was so close until i stopped doing them again and now the fear is back.
Get your coach to spot you, and you can work some dead cows (swings to your back onto a crash mat)

Good Luck!

I work on them off the low bar with a spot (the spot is because the low bar is like 3 feet off the ground so you don't have a lot of time to flip), which I have no trouble with. Then when I get brave or my coach yells at me, I do them on the high bar with a spot. It took a lot of drilling for me to get to do that. One thing I know is that if I try to watch my toes I'll think I'm holding on a second too long and then I freak out and don't let go. I have to feel my feet/legs rise instead of watching them. Also my first one is usually pretty early because I'm scared of letting go late - sometimes I can't get myself to go for it unless I let go early. Then I work them a little later and later until I can do it. Sometimes I"ll do 5 with no problem (with a spot) and then I get scared and have to go to the low bar. It's two steps forward one back.

But actually if I do go for it I think they're really fun. You just have to learn what makes you go for it (for me, not spotting my toes) and trust your spotter.

Oh gosh. The flyaway. I'll be honest. I am a level 9 gymnast. And I STILL get freaked out doing flyaways. Ever since I learned them in level 6, they have been an on and off skill for me. I've had days where I can do a double tucked flyaway to the resi, and days where I can't even do a swinging flyaway. It really is tough, and I've been beginning to get over it.

Sometimes, I think it helps just to not even think about it. Just swing, count to 3, and GO. Letting go of the bar is always the hard part, but once you do let go, it really can be fun! You're right, if you just tell yourself you want the skill, you'll do it every time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back