Parents The latest what to do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So it finally happened after being out of the gym for a year, daughter finally admits that she misses gymnastics. It started out by her saying she wanted to go back to the gym for tumbling to get her back tuck for cheerleading. I told her she could wait till the next class starts in the spring because she is doing so many other activites. Then I told her it might be too much with dance and track starting. In all honesty I was not looking forward for her to go back to her old gym because it is a lot of money and I was not sure if it was worth it, also it was so difficult when she left gymnastics for both of us and I was happy she was moving on to other things although I do miss it. I told her she could always do a private lessons to get her back tuck but she kept saying I want to do tumbling. Then she finally tells me she admits she misses it all the other events and being at the gym all the time. So I remind her that if she wanted to possible go back to competing that she would have to give up other thing like summer swim team and I asked her does she like the fact that she can do other things. She says she does. I told her she could do tumbling and go to open gym for now and see what happens. I am just so scared that eventhough I miss gymnastics I. Am worried if she goes back she will struggle again with injuries and probally be fustrated getting her skills back plus the expense. If she wanted to go back to the team she would have to show me that she was 100% committed. Maybe I am being selfish but the thought of it all terrifys me.

There's girl that practices with the optionals at our gym that doesn't compete. She comes a few nights a week and trains. She's actually quite good (she'd be a solid L8/9), but she just doesn't want to compete.

Is there a way you could ease back into it, and see where it goes? Since it's the end of the season, she would only be going right now to train and no pressure of competing etc. Or go with the intention of doing prep op which is less hours? Or go to a Y? My daughter competes at a Y and it is less hours than all the private gyms around here, but it is enough for the most part.I guess it's not enough if you are intent on a college scholarship or placing in the top 3 at all USAG meets but it works very well for many girls, and they hold their own at USAG meets. Lots of girls on the team play softball, run track, dance or do another activity for their school, and for many that is important. It's also cheaper.
So it finally happened after being out of the gym for a year, daughter finally admits that she misses gymnastics. It started out by her saying she wanted to go back to the gym for tumbling to get her back tuck for cheerleading. I told her she could wait till the next class starts in the spring because she is doing so many other activites. Then I told her it might be too much with dance and track starting. In all honesty I was not looking forward for her to go back to her old gym because it is a lot of money and I was not sure if it was worth it, also it was so difficult when she left gymnastics for both of us and I was happy she was moving on to other things although I do miss it. I told her she could always do a private lessons to get her back tuck but she kept saying I want to do tumbling. Then she finally tells me she admits she misses it all the other events and being at the gym all the time. So I remind her that if she wanted to possible go back to competing that she would have to give up other thing like summer swim team and I asked her does she like the fact that she can do other things. She says she does. I told her she could do tumbling and go to open gym for now and see what happens. I am just so scared that eventhough I miss gymnastics I. Am worried if she goes back she will struggle again with injuries and probally be fustrated getting her skills back plus the expense. If she wanted to go back to the team she would have to show me that she was 100% committed. Maybe I am being selfish but the thought of it all terrifys me.

She was last doing level 6, right? Is there an ex-cel or prep op program that she could do to ease in? Less commitment, less time...

Last edited:
Flipper I was just going to suggest the Prep-opo/Excel program. It usually means less time, less money but still has competitions. Alot of girls who want to do other sports or activities and want more free time go this route.

There are several optionals in our gym that burned out, but had the desire to come back. It has worked out great for everyone. The coaches were wonderful about not pushing them too fast and I think the time away reminded them of how much they enjoyed the sport. It's still a big commitment for families though and it sounds like she'll have to make some choices about what she really wants to do. If she chooses gymnastics, I think that will tell you a lot.

See my post titled:
[h=3]Outcome of After A 2 Month Search For A Gym and Gymnastics Program[/h]
We joined a different league (runs just like high school gymnastics - but my dd is only 8)

We joined a recreational league (in Colorado, it's called "CARA") but they have competitions just like USAG. I don't know if this is pre-op because I've never known exactly what that means, but it's great because the practice days and times allow for other sports and many of the other girls are quite good because they came from USAG programs.

I was worried that my dd wouldn't be challenged, but they actually practice high level skills and many of the other gymnasts came from USAG programs but, like us, couldn't take the hours. It also seems like there's just a nicer atmosphere too - maybe because the other kids aren't as stressed out from practicing so many hours. Everyone is a little more relaxed including the coaches. Their philosophy is family first, school second, sports third. Don't get me wrong, they still expect a lot from the gymnasts, but it's not punitive. They tell them how to perfect their moves, but they don't yell or badger the girls like some of our past experiences. The cost is also 1/3 of what we used to pay....nice bonus!

Daughter started tumbling last week. I thought she would of just been to busy and dropped the idea but she continued to insist that she wanted to do tumbling at her old gym. I quess she really misses it funny because I really thought she was over and done with gnastics. At this point she likes doing the tumbling and although she misses gymnastics I think she realizes what a big commitment and how much hard work and sacrifices it is to do the team. Both of us are not ready for that again, she likes doing other things and says she does not miss the pressure of competing. If she was absolutely sure she wanted to go back I would be supportive but for now she is not showing me that

On a positive note 1 session back in the gym she was able to land and relearn her back tuck. She was also able to work with one of her favorite old team coaches. It was very weird walking back in the gym after a year but I was able to see some of the old parents who I do miss. I am enjoying daughter having a chance to do other things such as dance track and swim and I no longer feel as bad as I did when she first decided to quit. Daughter might go to open gym and syne do camp week but she will be busy doing swim team and Irish dance in the summer and maybe go back to cheering for her school next year. I would love for her to maybe do a YMCA gym team but she is still fixated on her old gym which really does not have many options except USAG. I also wish she had an option of doing high school gymnastics
but there is not many options in our area so it might be high school cheer.

Update so daughter is almost done tumbling session she really enjoyed it but when she went to open gym and tried the other events her she realized that she does not miss them. After being away she realized the bars and the beam are now scary. She went to a cheer leading clinic held by one of our local high schools who happens to hold a national title and really liked it, she is considering trying out in 2 years when she goes to high school. Her back tucks are improving and she even did a couple back layouts. For now
she is still enjoying dance and swimming and will do cheer in the fall. I think her gymnastics background has really helped her with all of these things and I am really glad that she has come to terms with her decision to stop competing and is still able to go to her old gym for tumbling classes and not have regrets. I also have come terms with her leaving the sport and all the time and money I spent and I could say it was worth it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back