This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nope, going into the resi pit! I think next week I will try to land them on the sting mat before moving to the floor. Today I also did a pullover off of a small mat for a boost!!!! Was only able to do one, but it was a start

I did my roundoff back handspring! I did it on the rod floor, onto stacked mats in the pit at the level of the rod floor. The second time my feet hit the crack which was annoying. The third I went crooked. But the first was pretty good! I was happy- not bad for going to gymn despite being sick!

~Katy

Thursday was amazing. It's the only day of the week when we can go to a gym with a pit. First we vaulted, and it just felt really powerful. After doing some nice Yama 1/2, I did two half ons, freaked, cos they were scary high:D and then just asked if I could do tsuks into the pit at some point. I didn't really plan on doing it that day, as it was totally spontaneus. but I did! SOOOO excited!

I hyper-extended my knee today, but at least this time around, I was doing split leaps. Just landed with my leg totally straight grrr. So after a bad practice yesterday, where I couldn't do a thing to save my life, I hurt myself today. Sorry, just needed to vent to people who actually understand lol

This week was big for me! I got my front tuck mount, straddle jump dismount actually connected on double mini and I got my 3/4 to porpoise on trampoline. I got a little over confident after I got the porpoise and tried it on the harder less bouncy trampoline and dived onto my face! I have a nice waffle shaped bruise on my forehead now, it looks smashing!

Would you be able to explain what a porpoise is? Sounds hard! So on double mini you do a front tuck on the first mini and then a straddle jump right away on the second?

Thursday was amazing. It's the only day of the week when we can go to a gym with a pit. First we vaulted, and it just felt really powerful. After doing some nice Yama 1/2, I did two half ons, freaked, cos they were scary high:D and then just asked if I could do tsuks into the pit at some point. I didn't really plan on doing it that day, as it was totally spontaneus. but I did! SOOOO excited!

So fun! That was how I first flipped my tsuk into the pit too. It just felt powerful enough one day. Totally unplanned, but sometimes it goes best that way. Great job!

I hyper-extended my knee today, but at least this time around, I was doing split leaps. Just landed with my leg totally straight grrr. So after a bad practice yesterday, where I couldn't do a thing to save my life, I hurt myself today. Sorry, just needed to vent to people who actually understand lol

Its ok you're just getting all the injuries out of your system early in your 'career.' Kind of like me w/ my health problems?

Nope, going into the resi pit! I think next week I will try to land them on the sting mat before moving to the floor. Today I also did a pullover off of a small mat for a boost!!!! Was only able to do one, but it was a start

Do you do fhs on the tumbletrak ever?

Gikigirl, The porpoise is a front flip from your back to your back. The set up for it is called a 3/4 (front flip to the back) then you go straight out of that into the next flip (the porpoise) Here is an example of the whole routine on youtube YouTube - Joey Level 7 Trampoline MD State Championships 2009 ( it is not me) The last skill before the 1/2 twist to feet is the porpoise. Here is an example of the double mini pass on youtube (again not me) YouTube - Double Mini pass 1. It looks easy but it is really hard to flip off that slanted surface and keep it going.

Thanks Aerialriver. I've been wondering what you meant by the mini tramp! I had never seen one before. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

Do you do fhs on the tumbletrak ever?

I have, and I have stood them up, but needless to say, I didn't tumble at all yesterday. So I just did a lot of bars and conditioning, which is probably what I will end up doing Tuesday night too, b/c all I can do right now for other routines is mark them

Gikigirl, The porpoise is a front flip from your back to your back. The set up for it is called a 3/4 (front flip to the back) then you go straight out of that into the next flip (the porpoise) Here is an example of the whole routine on youtube YouTube - Joey Level 7 Trampoline MD State Championships 2009 ( it is not me) The last skill before the 1/2 twist to feet is the porpoise. Here is an example of the double mini pass on youtube (again not me) YouTube - Double Mini pass 1. It looks easy but it is really hard to flip off that slanted surface and keep it going.

Holy Crap, that is CRAZY. I'm so afraid of trampoline, b/c I am afraid of pulling a move like the coach in Stick It when he goes off the tramp! Good for you aerial!

Super proud of myself guys! As you all know, pullovers is something I have struggled with for the last nine months or so. Anyway, did three today off of a 1.5 foot mat! Got my BHC back(glad I only lost that for a few days!!!) And I did a kick over off of a one foot mat!! I have a tendency to twist off, so I don't have a chance of making it over. So hopefully my pullovers will be all by their little lonesomes in a couple of weeks(told coach to buy me an ice cream lol!)

Neat..we do something similar to the porpoise as a drill for front handspring front vaults, and toe shoots on bars. Usually we bounce into a back drop and front flip from there (but try to get to our feet). Yeah, I bet its brutal trying to control the bounce on that double mini!

I haven't posted in awhile, but my back gets stronger each week as I do my exercise program! I have been able to do more things every other week or so at the gym. I have now gotten a bunch of skills back, some of them this week: pullovers, BHC, glide swings, level 4 vault, jumping on a spring board, front tucks from tumble track onto resi, round offs on the floor!, straddle up handstands on floor, split leaps, switch leaps, bridges, forward and backward rolls, punching on the floor, and I think that might be about it. I still have not tried any handspring type skills. I want to get a little stronger before I do that and hopefully it won't hurt my back. I hope everyone had a great week.

I didn't do anything outstanding this week, but I am starting to figure out how to not pike as much in my vault(it's not a lot, but its enough apparently to be pointed out almost every time I do one). Conditioning at home, and getting TONS stronger just doing that, and did a few bar routines, almost by myself-bars are the nemisis to this day lol!

I didn't do anything outstanding this week, but I am starting to figure out how to not pike as much in my vault(it's not a lot, but its enough apparently to be pointed out almost every time I do one). Conditioning at home, and getting TONS stronger just doing that, and did a few bar routines, almost by myself-bars are the nemisis to this day lol!

Go Nicci and Danielle, all this extra working out, will make your gymnastics much better :eek:) Good job girls. Maybe run into you Saturday, I am there till 3.

Finally got back after almost a month because I injured my shoulder at work then for some reason, strained my iliac-tibial band (the muscle that runs along your outer thigh from your hip to your knee) and felt yesterday was really good!

Did the usual warmups then floor. Coach said I almost got a handstand forward roll hahaa! I still get giddy doing forward rolls! Anyone with tips for that? I got up so giddy I had to sit down on a mat for awhile. But I'm ok with handstand forward rolls.

Coach taught us a three mounts onto beam and one of them is actually an A skill in the COP which is the free leap to 1 foot (Deng Linlin's mount 2009). She also taught us free leap to 2 feet (don't know if it's right but it's Deng Linlin's 2008 mount haah!). She also taught us to jump to front support, swing one leg over the beam, hands behind back, legs together and body into V shape and slowly get up ala Fan Ye's mount in 2003 Worlds. Could someone give me the name for that mount? I don't think it's in the COP anymore is it? What about the 2nd mount mentioned?

My knee was hurting quite badly after beam though haah. We also did half turns and I tried a backward shoulder roll, courtesy of my coach who swore it wasn't as hard as it seems. It wasn't really I guess but I'm not good a backward rolls :p so I was a little afraid and ended up banging my right knee (my good knee!) against one of the metal bits of the beam. OUCH.

Then we moved onto bars where we worked on glide swings. She also tried teaching two of us the kip but I'm not flexible enough to "fold into half" and I'm not at all used to the feeling of kipping yet. Another problem I have is when I glide swing (off the springboard), I can't seem to stop one of my feet tapping onto the floor when I know I have to bring my legs in to fold at the top of the bar on the return swing. :S Coach said I have adequate core strength in my core (she actually poked my tummy when I was in an L hang!) and I had to "USE IT!" lol. Also did a couple of pullovers, surprisingly less scary than last time and at a higher speed too. Then she had me stand on the low bar to jump to the high bar. For some reason, I got really scared after I put one foot on the low bar...I could not put my other foot onto the bar as well cuz I was really afraid of falling off. In the end, I held my coaches hand as I stood up and the next hurdle was leaning over to catch the high bar. Apparently, they were only 140cm apart and I'm 155cm but it looked so far away but I did it anyway and swung a few times before swinging off.

During warm down, I did some resistance stretching (is that what it's called?) on my legs for splits. I was quite surprised how far apart they could go *chuckle*.

I've got one concern though. I know this is probably a standard gymnastics thing. The knuckle area in my palm of my middle and ring fingers have callused after yesterday (which is not surprising cuz we did quite abit of bar work) but just above the centre of my palms at the middle finger area, there's like a patch of raw/thickened? skin that's less red now but it hurts when I grab things esp. my steering wheel today cuz it was hot but normally it doesn't hurt when I grab it. What is it? I plan to get palm grips soon, hopefully they'll lessen. :)

I'm glad everyone's progressing well! I'm achy all over and I hate sneezing and laughing today cuz my abs hurt when I do!

Today I had the best training session I've had in a long time. My conditioning actually seems to be improving and I've decided to do some at home a couple of times in the week. Beam I have my routine sorted out for competition in just over a month:
Sqaut on
Straddle 1/2 lever
Stride leap, cat leap
Tuck jump
Full spin
Arabesque
Free roll, free roll
Front tuck dismount

At the moment I fall on the full spin every time and I haven't connected the two free rolls. My front tuck is inconsistant and the dance bits in between need to be clearer, but I'm really pleased with it.
Floor I also have my routine
Cat leap, Cat leap
RO BHS BHS
Cartwheel
Handspring
BWO
Split leap
Full spin
Front tuck

The only thing that really needs work is the front tuck and then I just need practise at going through it all!
I'm also competing vault with a handspring. Handspring full twist preps are on hold for a while, but they are much better than a few weeks ago.

I just hope I can keep it up!

Well it's not quite new this week but I've been doing roundoff back handsprings from the rod floor onto mats stacked in the pit! Soon I'm going to move them to the floor!!!! :) I also have my beam routine pretty solid I can do it pretty often without any falls- I didn't even fall once on my full turn this week! I kept getting distracted at other times though cause we have a cheerleading team that practices when we do and they were on the floor right next to the beams this week. Oh well, though, I got it all the way through once without a fall so I was happy!!

~Katy

Well it's not quite new this week but I've been doing roundoff back handsprings from the rod floor onto mats stacked in the pit! Soon I'm going to move them to the floor!!!! :) I also have my beam routine pretty solid I can do it pretty often without any falls- I didn't even fall once on my full turn this week! I kept getting distracted at other times though cause we have a cheerleading team that practices when we do and they were on the floor right next to the beams this week. Oh well, though, I got it all the way through once without a fall so I was happy!!

~Katy

wow, I don't think I have ever gone a week not falling on a full turn on beam. Sounds like things are going well for you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back