This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Practices have been going well for me for the most part. I am getting really solid on my current beam routine but I want to add some more difficulty to it soon. I am getting a lot more comfortable with my layout 1/2 on floor and have started putting it into my routine and for the most part landing on my feet now which was the problem before LOL. I am getting better at the straddle up cast so I can do my giants out of it almost all the time, and on vault I have been able to do some tsuks into our resi pit without a spot from the coach (he still stands there) and the number of times I crash is less, but it still happens from time to time. The only thing that is frustrating me is I had my handspring full vault this summer most of the time and now I don't land it as much. I am changing my technique on it for the better, but for now its causing a step back with landing it. I am sure I'll get it, just one of those things.

Coach said I almost got a handstand forward roll hahaa! I still get giddy doing forward rolls! Anyone with tips for that? I got up so giddy I had to sit down on a mat for awhile. But I'm ok with handstand forward rolls.

For the forward rolls I find it helps w/ dizziness to keep your head curled forward and try to look at your leotard not all around the gym as you roll.

I'm also competing vault with a handspring. Handspring full twist preps are on hold for a while, but they are much better than a few weeks ago.

I just hope I can keep it up!

Hey Missbear, are you just working drills or doing your handspring full on a trainer setup? I like that vault, I find it frustrating sometimes though!

i guess that you can teach an "old dog" new tricks. last night on bars, i learned a toe on. i'm not sure it that is what it is called. you do a piked squat on (low bar) and then you swing backwards and let go while straddling and reaching for the high bar - grab the high bar and do a long hang kip. it took several attempt, but i made it four times with bent elbows in my long hang kip. about two or three years ago, i had tried these and i could only grab the high bar if i was lucky.
yay me!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by a trainer. At the moment I'm doing them on a level 4 vault set up - so I have to have twisted by the time I hit the mat. Most of the time I'm getting 1/2 to 3/4 of the way round. I need to twist quicker after I block.

Update tomorrow after my session!

Vault trainer is a portable vault table basically, without the height adjustments, if you want it higher, you put it on a higher surface. Does that make sense? If not then someone else feel free to clarify, b/c I see what I am talking about :D

Nothing overly great for me, I haven't been going to my regular gym, but have been going to my supplemental gym, and have been practicing drills for squat-ons. I have been able to do this, but I had to go immediately to the high bar. Well lo and behold, I can balance standing up on the low bar, which makes transition to the high bar that much easier. I am working on the lvl 5 dismount from bars, b/c I am hoping before year's end to add a bar change(and have my squat on) into my routine. And I get my BHC around every time now!

This week I finally connected my level 7 trampoline routine. There may be hope to compete it afterall. My coach told us that whoever connected it would get a sticker, out of 15 people only 3 of us got stickers. Funny how a sticker motivates a 27 year old LOL. Hopefully I can keep it up!:p

great job on the sticker!! i was just telling the other two adults that we should have the charts on the walls like the competitive girls. they check off stuck routines. one of the adults responses, "do we get stickers too?"

Made my blind change on pit bar this week! I have been working on it since late spring. Now to work either front giant or pirouette out to more back giants. I did one at the end of bar workout last practice, hope I can do it next time, and it wasn't one of those 'tease' things you can do once and then lose right away, LOL

Did a standing front tuck in the 8 incher.

I didn't think I'd even get to my tush, much less stand it up.

Good job Goofy and Gina! I just had an overall fantabulous practice, that is what I have accomplished thus far this week, but I have class again on Friday, and a private again on Saturday, so maybe some amazing will happen lol. Oh, I have started to stand up my front tucks!!

I can't tumble right now due to a foot surgery I had a few weeks ago (removal of a screw I had to get last year after a back tuck gone bad) so I'm just doing bars and conditioning. I got really close to getting both my kip and my FHC last night but I just can't seem to shift my wrist enough at the end of either. I'm about 15 degrees too short. Any suggestions?

For the last couple months, I have been nursing an ankle injury that has prevented me from tumbling and vaulting, and have thus been focusing much more heavily on simply training strength and flexibility. Apparently, it's paying off.

Yesterday, I did an endo (stalder) to handstand on floor, which, despite being an elite gymnast (and despite having had an endo to handstand in my compulsory floor routine for two seasons), I had never done before.

I still have to flex my feet to make it all the way through, though.

I did back handsprings tonight!! I was doing them over a couple of mats and a barrel, but tonight I did them on tramp and on floor-with a spot, but YAY!

I can't tumble right now due to a foot surgery I had a few weeks ago (removal of a screw I had to get last year after a back tuck gone bad) so I'm just doing bars and conditioning. I got really close to getting both my kip and my FHC last night but I just can't seem to shift my wrist enough at the end of either. I'm about 15 degrees too short. Any suggestions?

Try jumping up from the floor up to a bar keeping your arms straight (requiring you to shift your wrists at the top). If this is no problem, you might just need more speed during those skills so that you don't 'fizzle out' at the last part.

For the last couple months, I have been nursing an ankle injury that has prevented me from tumbling and vaulting, and have thus been focusing much more heavily on simply training strength and flexibility. Apparently, it's paying off.

Yesterday, I did an endo (stalder) to handstand on floor, which, despite being an elite gymnast (and despite having had an endo to handstand in my compulsory floor routine for two seasons), I had never done before.

I still have to flex my feet to make it all the way through, though.

Wow...this has always been one of my goals to get this, what did you do to train it, anything special? I can press from my feet.

Wow...this has always been one of my goals to get this, what did you do to train it, anything special? I can press from my feet.

PNF stretching on pancakes (for passive flexibility) and straddle supports (for active flexibility).

I've been meaning to film my entire strength workout and post it on youtube -- perhaps I'll do that next week.

EDIT: Also, getting real close to a maltese on rings. Oddly enough, I'm closer to a solid maltese than I am to a solid planche, despite being able to hold an easy 10-second straight body planche on floor.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back