This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good job, Nicci! Soon you'll be working on dive cartwheels on beam, which are a B value! After that, who knows? Maybe side aerials! Keep on truckin'. It makes me smile to read the enthusiasm on these posts. Good job to everyone making progress or even just trying to! This week I'm so sore from starting my comeback. It may take me a year to get a bar routine but I'm going for it. Life has been hard but I will never, ever give up. High Fives to everyone!

This week I threw backhandsprings on the high beam with the mats down lower than before, and started doing my roundoff again on the high beam. I tend to stick them better on the high beam than the low beam; must be something about the fear of crotching the beam! I will need to compete the roundoff and might compete the bhs as well in April, so thats why I have been honing in on the beam, its usually my hardest event to go for skills on.

sore wrists

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any training ideas for wrist strength/flexibility? My wife is training both handstands and Lsits on parallel bars and the thing that hurts her most is her wrists. She's been training for over 8 weeks now - I had thought she would have worked through it by now.

thanks,

Jerry

Congrats GikiGirl for doing those back handsprings on beam with lower mats! I wish you well in your meet in April. Do you connect your RO with a jump or do it separately? What's your mount? With a Gainer dismount like you mentioned, it sounds like a really sound routine. I'd better work hard this summer or you're going to kick my butt in that Flyer's Meet next March!

Jer, your wife can strengthen her wrists by hanging an ankle weight from the center of a dowel stick. Roll the weight up by holding the dowel with straight arms out in front of her and turn the dowel stick with her hands. Also, squeezing tennis balls to the point of fatigue helps. To stretch the wrists, sit in a straddle position on the floor with the hands flat in front of her with straight arms. Sloooooooowly stretch the wrists to the point of a stretch but NOT pain and hold for a count of 10. Shake the hands loosely and repeat. Also, turn the hands in the other direction in that position and stretch the same way. I hope this helps. :)

I'm finally tumbling again. Yeah! I was able to do my roundoff bhs backtuck on floor again for the first time in 3 months since I hurt my leg and do my fronthandsprings fronttucks again on tumbletrack (if only I could get the fhs on floor). Now I just have to get my routines ready for June for the aau meet in Savannah, GA.

LL, I do a cat leap into my RO on beam, and also can do cartwheel swingthru RO if I need a flight series. I also have done bhs to backwalkover for series and do backwalkover into bhs or bhs bhs only on low beam so far--not terribly consistent. I don't have the gainer dismount yet, for now it's a cartwheel back tuck connected.

Cartwheel, swingthru, RO. Nice! I've never seen that. Keep working that Gainer. You'll get it! It would be neat for you to do a BHS, Gainer Dismount off the side! Maybe twist it in the future. Most gymnasts I've seen, do it from a stand.

LL, just to clarily I do the gainer off the END, from two feet. It is still over the pit right now cause I sometimes get hung up in the air. That is how you get a B value w/ just tuck! Pike is C. You can also do it off one foot, off the end. You might know this already, just making sure. Good idea though about connecting a bhs into gainer off the side. I am not great at twisting, yet, but it would be fun to play around with. Currently do not have a back full on any event, but can do front fulls on floor and front handspring full vault, what can I saw I'm weird!

I was taught the elusive secret to walking on my hands. I do have to learn to get up to a full vertical in my handstand though, I thought I was most of the time, so I apparently need to break this before it becomes too much of a habit. Kylie, glad to hear your leg is better!!!

yes, do share the handstand secret!
so i read the other post and had to try a dive cartwheel on beam. on saturday, i did it on the low beam with the mats along the sides. everything was fine except for the landing. i had way too much power and kept stepping backwards. which made me try my round off. i don't know how anyone land a roundoff on beam. i have way to much power, even when i try to water it down. but, i think that i want to get my roundoff layout dismount back.
i even tried an aerial on the floor beam. i was going to try it on the low beam, but it seemed so hard. maybe i'll try it with a beam pad.
yesterday, on tumble track, my ro bhs layouts were super high like they used to be. even one of the other coaches said they looked really nice because she could really see the set and the correct body position in the air.
last, but not least, for the first time every i stood up a front layout full off tumble track. so i tried a fhs full and landed that too.

The secret is......get up fully vertical and almost feel as if you're going to fall over. That is my secret. Now I just have to learn NOT to fall out of it, but I can walk more on my hands now

Still don't know how to stay up longer than a second or two in the handstand, I should have paid more attention to what I was doing when I stayed up for about 6 seconds! But I was so pleased with myself, its the little things in life that count. And I am getting better at my front tuck too, still doing it on the tumble track

Today I stood up a front tuck off the tumble track! I also was doing good flysprings on there... a few times I had so much heal drive my hands almost didn't even touch! I also landed my fhs on floor pretty consistently, and I completed about the first half of the floor routine I am putting together for myself a couple of the others in the class. Not half bad!!

~Katy

Handstand secret:

spread your fingers and press thru them when you are up there. Your fingers should be working very hard to prevent you from falling over, but you need to feel almost like you are falling over to hold it. Squeeze every muscle in your body very hard!

Walking on hands:

Nicci you are right, you need to feel like you are almost falling over. You also need to try to shift your weight from one hand to another as you walk. Those handstand shoulder taps we did in conditioning? Very helpful. But be sure to shift weight and tap, shift weight and tap, so eventually you can do more than 1 or 2 before falling.

Katy, wow, thats some pretty serious beam stuff! Good going!

hehe that's all on floor ;) I'm excited though, tumbling was never my strong thing but now I am realizing I'm just stronger with front tumbling! I hope one week soon we get on vault, I'm pretty confident I can to a decent front handspring vault with a little practice! My heal drive has gotten pretty good in the past few weeks.

~Katy

How do you do a dive cartwheel on the beam anyway? Little lady mentioned it earlier, but I don't even know what one looks like let alone how to do one! Good luck on your vault!

Same way you do one on the floor ;) haha but enough of me being a smart alek...

A dive cartwheel is one with a flight phase before your hands hit the ground- that is, in a normal cartwheel you lever into it and your dominant leg is still in contact with the floor when your hands back contact. With a dove cartwheel you launch off that leg and are in the air with no support for a moment before your hands touch. A dive cartwheel done well enough then becomes an aerial cartwheel by neglecting to put the hands down at all.

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back