Parents Thoughts on meets were you think it matter what team leo you wear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All a wash in the end, IMO. And further reason to put less emphasis on the actual score.

Couldn't agree more!

I'd just like to add to my previous post - I actually think the scores my gymnasts are given are fair. Sometimes I think they are generous! It is just that the girls from the 'top' clubs are over scored in my opinion, and like I said, it shows at National Finals!

I have to disagree with most of these remarks as my DGD's came from a small gym and didn't score as high as the so called power gyms in most events and I always thought that it was the leo that made the difference (and maybe it does a bit). But I do not feel this way any more....my DGD's moved to one of those power gyms and their scores definitely moved up but it was not just because of the leo...the girls learned that there were certain elements that they previously were not doing correctly (although they had been given very good coaching at the old gym, some of it was not in line with USAG)...also emphasis was given at the new gym for much bigger split leaps, leg separation, toes pointed, prettier and more controled bhs's etc., foot placement and all those "pretty points" that you hear about. As mentioned, it may very well be the "untrained eye" that is causing the feelings and not the power gyms...btw, my DGD's are still not at the top of the heap but there certainly is a difference in what their routines look like now and I can see that difference. But I certainly do hear ya and can see why you feel this way, oh, and we are also in Region 8.

I totally agree with the above statement...my daughter used to be at a different gym and while she scored well, the "power gyms" scored much better and our coaches responses were that "well they get those scores because they're from XX gym" ...well, a gym move later to said power gym and as gymnasticgrandkids said, the difference is in the "pretty points" , which she now is aware of and does , so SHE gets the big score and deserves it. I think the untrained eye of a parent and the wishful eye of a coach can see what they feel is a slighting of their gymnast but I too, have been on both sides and the leo matters only in that the girls in the same leo as my daughter train 25-30 hours a week and it shows on those girls...now don't get me wrong , we have some average gymnasts , and why they would put themselves through the rigorous training at our gym mystifies me , and those girls do not score well because of their leo, they score what they deserve.

Flipper competed levels 4-7 at a very small gym. The girls from her gym generally got lower scores for their routines then girls from bigger, better known gyms. I was absolutely convinced that our girls were being robbed and treated unfairly. Flipper moved to a bigger, better known gym for level 8. She complained that the coaches were nit picking her routines and making unreasonable demands. They also worked out twice the hours of the old gym and expected much more out of the gymnasts. Her scores started to go up. What really convinced me that the judges are pretty spot on is sitting at the judges table at a large meet we sponsor. After watching 40 routines in a couple of hours, even my untrained eye could see that the better known gyms are technically better. I hate that the extra hours and stricter coaching makes a difference, but in our experience, it does. While the judges are human and sometimes make mistakes, I am now convinced that they do an excellent job.

Last edited:
I do agree the Power gyms do train more and do have some better routines because of the type of training they do. My point really was I have seen over and over again very good routines even better routines from the very small gyms and that are up first on floor and do not get nearly the types of scores the powergyms do that hit the floor later in session as if they save the bigger scores knowing these gyms are coming.

My DD is not at a small gym or the powergym and I have rarely to never seen small gyms get fair scores except at States for some reason or in session where there are not these big gyms. Just my opinion of what I have seen and heard over the years.

Our coaches do this... I notice that our coaches seem to put the girls in order of how they "expect" them to score, with the lowest first. I thought that maybe it was a "mind game" thing... that the less confident ones were better off going first rather than stand there and worry about their turn coming up. But maybe this is why they do it. In some ways, it could be a self-fulfilling prophesy though. The kids have figured out by now (at least the level 5's have) that this is what they do. So if you go first at an event, then you know the coaches aren't expecting you to do very well... and then you probably won't. If you go last, it's a vote of confidence from the coaches and you're more likely to do well. It seems like a flawed system. I've also been told by a mom that used to coach that you want to have floor as your last event in the rotation because they start scoring floor low so that they have room to go up. I don't know how true any of this is, but you're right... it should be straight deductions, consistant across the board. Even tough scoring is O.K. if it's consistant.

My DD just told me that their coaches do this...they put the one who is "supposed" to score the lowest on an event first and the one who is "supposed" to score the highest last. I had actually no idea that they did this, but apparently it is so they can build on the scores. I laughed at first when she told me because she is ALWAYS first on vault. ;)
As far as wearing the right leo...or wrong leo...it happens for sure. Without a doubt. Wish it didn't, but it does. It works both ways for our gym depending on the meet we are at and who the judges are.

btw, my "power gym" gymnast got a score of just under 33 this weekend at the National Gymnastics Challenge....wearing what some say is the right leo....and she earned every bit of it.....while other gymnasts from both sides got 36's and 38's (also well deserved)....so again I say they get what they earn. Her "pretty points" were just not very pretty and she fell on bars....judges do not split hairs (for the most part)...what you get is what you earn and, unfortunately, that's what was earned. There was no belly aching on her part, as she also knew that's what she earned. Nuff said.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back