thumb position in cast handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd just switched gyms. She learned to do a cast handstand with her thumb wrapped around the bar on the opposite side from her fingers. Her new coach wants her thumb next to her fingers, and dd is afraid she's going to fall.
Is keeping your thumb next to your fingers the prefered way?

I think it is the preferred way (keeping your thumb on the same side as your fingers) because then you don't have to switch them back over when you go into your next skill.. If she is scared of falling then you can have her do some handstands on a floor bar with her thumb on the correct side or do some just do some casts (not to handstand) and then keep getting higher and higher until she feels comfortable with a cast handstand.
100TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I never wrap my thumbs on a kip cast handstand, although I do it if I do a cast handstand from front support (both regular and reverse grip). I know girls who always shift their thumbs over on top of the bar, but I definitely feel it would be inappropriate to swing (back swings) on the women's rail with the thumbs wrapped. I don't think I would correct it on just the cast handstand unless it was causing problems with the swing down.

There was a girl at my gym who always switched her thumbs during skills and ending up slipping and falling. Its more safe for her to learn it with her thumb next to her fingers so it doesn't lead to more switching during other skills. Have her to a bunch of handstands on a floor bar so she gets used to the feeling. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back