WAG Tiger paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have no problem with tiger paws if the gymnast have wrist pain/ problems. However the old compulsory coach allowed quite a few of the girls with no wrist issues to get them last year. Now I have at least one kid forgetting them everyday which means skipping tumbling because they believe they can't do it without their wrist guards (most won't even try). I think that having them without having a wrist problem creates a false dependency especially at 7/8 years old.

I have no problem with tiger paws if the gymnast have wrist pain/ problems. However the old compulsory coach allowed quite a few of the girls with no wrist issues to get them last year. Now I have at least one kid forgetting them everyday which means skipping tumbling because they believe they can't do it without their wrist guards (most won't even try). I think that having them without having a wrist problem creates a false dependency especially at 7/8 years old.

That makes sense, thanks.

It means skipping tumbling because they believe they can't do it without their wrist guards (most won't even try). I think that having them without having a wrist problem creates a false dependency especially at 7/8 years old.

I would imagine it's how it's "sold" to a kid. It's protective not an enhancement. Rather like shin guards, clearly you can play without them.

What I find interesting is these are not encouraged yet grips are and early as well. It's puzzling.

I would imagine it's how it's "sold" to a kid. It's protective not an enhancement. Rather like shin guards, clearly you can play without them.

What I find interesting is these are not encouraged yet grips are and early as well. It's puzzling.
I think they see the "big girls" with them and then they want them too.

@gymcoach1 - if they treated the Tiger Paws the same as their grips (ie, keep them in the gym cubby, no chance of forgetting them at home), there would be no issue. What are your thoughts on using the Tiger Paws as a preventative tool? I think it's better to prevent than to cure, but I'm only speaking as a rather protective parent :)

My daughter (finishing L6) has tiger paws BUT she only wears them when working yurchenko vaults (she's doing the BHS over the table but not flipping yet). She is barely 10 years old and I do not want her wrists damaged from the extra strain. She does all tumbling and FHS vaults without them. For me, the decision to get them was completely a preventive measure. We do have a rice bucket at home and she does wrist strengthening in the gym. I am not going to wait until she is injured before making her wear them. Hopefully, by doing this, she'll only need them for vaulting as she moves up the levels.

@gymcoach1 - if they treated the Tiger Paws the same as their grips (ie, keep them in the gym cubby, no chance of forgetting them at home), there would be no issue. What are your thoughts on using the Tiger Paws as a preventative tool? I think it's better to prevent than to cure, but I'm only speaking as a rather protective parent :)

I could see it as a preventative tool when a gymnast reaches level 7/8 ish and the skills get harder, but I don't see it helping on level 4/5, but then again I am definitely not a doctor and if a doctor said it could work as a preventive tool even at a low level I wouldn't argue it.

Like grips, Tiger Paws became a rite of passage at my dd's gym. All the team girls wanted them. When we got a new head coach, he nixed them for compulsory girls and upped the wrist exercises instead. Now only the girls who legitimately have issues wear them.

What are your alls thoughts on wearing them for preventative measures?
For someone with hyper mobility syndrome, someone in Optionals (especially if training / competing yurchenkos), or someone working a lot of back handsprings, I think it would be a good idea.

Having the debate over here about tiger paws. Coach doesn't want her to wear them. She is just coming off a bad break (radius/ulna - 3 months out of the gym- still has sensory nerve damage and getting PT2X week). PT wants her to wear them before tumbling or moving onto the vault table. Coach is resistant - and says that she is concerned about placement over the break. I'm not sure...

We've put some on her, and they do protect the break. She blocks better in PT with them on, so the PT thinks I should get them. The PT doesn't want her on the vault table or working BHS without them yet - as she has some pain in her wrists just doing BWO with spot at the PT.

PT is a former gymnast of 18 years, and so seems to have a good grasp of what each skill does to the body, so I like her recommendations so far. DD is noncommittal. Says it could be better with , but she can't tell.

I'm inclined to get them for her, and deal with the coach issue - but really - nagging down deep is a concern that this could all be fear related on dd's part - lingering from the injury.

Gah - why does everything in this sport need to be ANALYZED six ways from Sunday.....

That's stupid . I have heard many revered coaches here say once you are flipping vaults , you must have wrist guards, like the earlier poster said, wrists weren't made for tumbling. Why would you put your kid in a position to be injured? Mine wears them. She does well on vault and floor. She's had a successful level 9 season so far and looking to 10 next year. Why wouldn't we provide the best possible support for her?

Grips enhance the gymnast's ability to hold onto the bar. It is not clear that wrist guards provide a benefit to the non-injured gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back