WAG Too light for bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

maybe it's not something you need to figure out. maybe she just doesn't "get" bars yet. maybe it's just not going to be her best event. ;)

maybe it's not something you need to figure out. maybe she just doesn't "get" bars yet. maybe it's just not going to be her best event. ;)

Agreed. I just find all the strength/weight ratio, twitch, and body type stuff really fascinating!

Agreed. I just find all the strength/weight ratio, twitch, and body type stuff really fascinating!

I kind of like not getting all of it...I like not knowing what category my DD falls in because I think if I knew she was one "type", I would think, "she's never going to be good at X"!! :)

that being said, bars is hard. bars is really hard for some kids. While many kids are very good at it, and it comes "easy" to them, I think most would agree that bars is the one event that causes most kids the most problems. That's why so many coaches want to see strong bars before they let them move up levels.

if she's gasping playing soccer she's fast twitch. if she's meso, she will do decent bars and much better than endomorph. as i've stated before, ectomorph is the best body type for bars. and she'll do reasonably well vault/tumble but not as explosive as an endomorph given same fast twitch.

Din't you mention you had changed gyms... Perhaps she had developed skills incorrectly at the previous gym and that is what is holding her back, it will take time for the new gym to correct.

There is a girl in DD's group who struggled with bars for the first few levels, then all of a sudden this year she just seemed to 'get it'. Your DD might be like this - one day it will suddenly 'click' for her.

Din't you mention you had changed gyms... Perhaps she had developed skills incorrectly at the previous gym and that is what is holding her back, it will take time for the new gym to correct.
I think this could perhaps be a part of the problem based on what you've said. Bars is incredibly tough if you don't have a solid foundation. Some kids can plow through on brute strength alone for a while, but there will come a point where that just isn't enough. It could be that once she gets the basic skills on track and learns to use her strength and good technique to her advantage, things will start to fall into place.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back