WAG Too short for bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
DD was the shortest girl in the state for both old L5 and old L6 - second shortest at L7....somewhere during L5 she got enough confidence to jump to full out bar settings - but even now her coach sets bars closer for her (not as close as in the past - and now that she's working L8+ sometimes they don't adjust). She really did struggle with bars initially due to height (you can imagine vault...) but now other than swing velocity its all fine. She definitely worked off a block initially, or climbed up the side of the bars to get to the high bar! Her little 4-9 self compared to the other 11 year olds still stands out - and she's half done with her growth spurt!!

Just let your DD know it will get better and she's not alone - and remind her how much easier her double back dismount will be later on!!
DD just had a physical - man was i being optomistic - she's only 4ft 6.5 in....

My dd is 13 and only 4' 6" working towards Level 9 and the bar settings are wreaking havoc on her mentally as she prepares for release moves.

DD will be 12 this summer - probably has about another 1.5-2 years of growing to hope for! She did manage to "flip her Yurchenko" yesterday - last year looked so tiny trying to get over that thing...

DD is 9, and only half way through this year stopped using a springboard or mat to start her off on her kip. She still "jumps" to the high bar..... has been doing it for 3 years so I'm no longer scare.

But she can also to the toe shoot to the high bar also, even at her size (4'1" and a whopping 67 lbs)..... so height really isn't a factor for limiting I don't think. I think it is the fear that comes with the distance.

This winter her bars coach had her set a large block up at the pit bar station, REALLY far away, to force her to jump with momentum enough to get her to go straight into kip-cast-HS-toe to HS on the high bar. THAT was scary. Even for her.

Yesterday, DD's coach asked of she wanted to move up to the bigger girl's setting, she said why would I wanted to do that when my toe shoot and Shaposh are finally getting better at FIG? Lmao!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back