WAG TOPS testing benefits at a young age?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmommy123

Proud Parent
What benefits are there to starting TOPS testing early on, i.e., right at 7 yrs old? Do the girls get to skip levels? My daughter just turned 6, level 3/4, and I notice they are regularly working some of the TOPS type skills, i.e., working on holding handstand 30 seconds, press handstands, leg lifts, etc... The gym hasn't mentioned TOPS at all, just have read about it on CB, but they have done TOPS testing in the past with other girls. Is it worth bringing up with them, for prep for next year? Or just let her continue on her normal progression through the levels and wait to see if her coaches bring it up down the road?

TOPS training is strength and flexibility that is beneficial for all gymnasts. If your gym offers TOPs testing, the coaches will probably invite your gymmie unless they do it for all their gymnasts. If your little one is interested, it cant hurt to let the coaches know you would like her to be considered for the testing. Now is the time to let them know, because it takes a while to get the skills needed to test. There is testing available to 7 year olds. Not all TOPs testers are in a position to skip a level and that is not the purpose behind TOPs. It is a talent search and development program. That being said, your daughter does NOT need to participate in TOPs to be successful in the sport nor does she need it to reach the elite level of gymnastics. All gyms should be working the TOPs physical abilities as part of regular training, such as press handstands, handstands, rope climbs, etc. Hope that helps. If she is currently level 4 and working on the strength and flexibility for TOPs, then she may be in a good position to test as a 7 year old.

Very helpful post. Thanks! It seems like a lot to learn for a 7 yr old, but I guess if she has a full year or more to get the skills, it sounds entirely possible. May bring it up with the HC sometime and see what she has to say.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back