Training at home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My parents can no longer afford for me to go to the gym I am at right now, so I am not going to be doing gymnastics until we can find a cheaper gym, so about a month. I am going for level 8 and I REALLY don't want to lose all of my skills.

Does any one know how I can keep up my skills? I have a trampoline and a floor balance beam at my house.

Don't worry, you're not going to lose all your skills in a month!

Use your disappointment/frustration as a chance to train harder than ever. You won't be able to work on all of your skills/events, but you can work on getting stronger and more flexible. Maybe there is a park nearby that has some sort of bar you can use to do pull-ups, leg lift, etc.

DON"T WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your not going to loose all your skills.

At wouldn't recommend training at home! It can be dangerous without proper equipment and coaching. With your beam I guess you could still do your leaps, turns, and jumps. DO NOT do anything like standing tucks or backhandsprings.

Take this chance to work your butt off doing conditioing and flexability. Conditioning is a HUGE part of gymnastics and if you do a lot of it while you are a way, your skills will come sooooooo much easier.Also is there any gyms near by that you might be able to go to open gyms. It is usally only around $10-15 for around 2 hours, depending on the gym. This way you can still keep up with your skills about 1 a week.

I hope this helps give you some ideas and encouragement.

In a month, you won't lose your skills in terms of muscle memory if you keep up your strength and flexibility. Of course the confidence to do things is tricky when you haven't done them in awhile but even with that you should be able to build back up within in another month. Just try to keep up with your strength and flexibility and also do some cardio/running for endurance. Basically, stay in shape, work on balance/handstands, and flexibility, and you should be able to pick back up pretty well.

You probably wont lose all your skills because a girl on my team goes on vacation for a month every summer, she usualy comes back fine.

Thanks :) I've been doing the dance on my beam routine over and over and over on it with my leap, turn, jumps, and front and bwo. No back handspring.

I've been practicing my layout half on my trampoline into a front tuck as well as other connections.

I was thinking about going to the community center gym and just work out on my own possibly.

That is always a good idea!!!!!!!!!!! Open gym is a great oppurtuinity to work skills, learn skills, and just mess around!

It sounds like you are doing good! I'm sorry you have to move gyms now.. best of luck in finding a new one! :)

My parents can no longer afford for me to go to the gym I am at right now, so I am not going to be doing gymnastics until we can find a cheaper gym, so about a month. I am going for level 8 and I REALLY don't want to lose all of my skills.

Does any one know how I can keep up my skills? I have a trampoline and a floor balance beam at my house.

You can't really safely do much more than what has already been suggested. Strength and stretching will greatly help. If you have a problem area, like weaker arms or inflexible shoulders, this is a GREAT time to work on your weaknesses. Also, I would do some running or cycling, or any sort of physical activity because that will help you stay in shape and positive as well.

Good luck and I wish you the best this season!

I gurantee you that you wont lose your skills!!A girl at my gym took a full year off and then came back because she was moving and wanted to start gymnastics again.She had every single one of the skills that she had when she left.Maybe not as good but still there:)Just do alot of conditioning and flexibility:)Hope you find a new gym soon!!

Like everyone else has said here you won't loose your skills in a month or so. I wouldn't try practicing gymnastic skills while your out, but rather focus on the conditioning, flexability type of skills that can be done without special equipment. A simple chinup bar at home a mat on the floor and lots of chinups, situps, V up, push ups and anything else you can think of that is an exercise that your old gym did for conditioning. With a tramp there is lots of jumping for you to do.

At home my DD uses the Wii program called "Your Shape" to help her increase felxability. It realy is a great program if you have the Wii. It has a little camera lens that constantly scans you to make sure your not going too fast or too slow. It adjusts to your ability level and you can choose from several focusus you want to work on. I use it and my focus is weight loss and working on my core. You enter some basic info on your self like your current activity level, weight and age, it scans you for your height, and body shape and then develops a program for you that will change as you improve. When I started it was 15 min every day (m - F) That I could do now 25 lbs lighter and feeling more energetic the program as evolved to 3 times a week for 45 min each session. If they had started me with that I would have quit. My DD as I said has her focus on Flexability. You don't need any equipment but if you have hand weights (1 or 2 lb weights), an exercise step and one of those big balls used in exercise they can add one or all of those into the work out too.

According to the package it has ove 400+ exercises that can focus on Cardio, strenght training, toning, flexibility, core trainnig, weight loss and more. Ok I guess that is enough of the comercial LOL. But it really is a great program to keep fit.

Bummer to hear. Keep up with the conditioning and stretching. Bounce a lot on tramp, see if you can drop in somewhere, maybe that city gym.

PM if you want.

ITA with the others, you won't lose your skills in a month. Rylee (my 4y/o) broke her elbow in April and had to take 3 months off. When she was able to start again she started right back where she had left off (working on her ROBHS and front hip circle so she can move to level 4).

I hope you are able to find a new gym soon!

Good idea to work at home..
But it would be more difficult for you to work at home with regularity...
People exercising at home usually feel it difficult..

How about looking into a local YMCA that has a gymnastics team? YMCAs have scholarship programs for persons with demonstrated need ...also, our old gym also had scholarship programs for gymnasts with need issues (they never told us team parents about it but I heard about it one time when I was at the desk) ...you could call and ask anonymously if these type of programs exist and what is the criteria ...at your current gym, if your financial situation had a big change (i.e. parent loss, parent loss of job ) , would that gym be open to working with you by maybe having you help out with some of the rec classes?

I would advise you to continue working strength, flexibility, and handstands, but nothing beyond that.

EDIT: oops, didn't notice this was an old thread. In that case...

Just to let everyone know GetaGrip got back in the gym and competed level 8 this season!
Good to hear!

Last edited:
Some exercises you can do at home to maintain your skills.
Handstands, sit ups, push ups, cartwheels, squats, leg lifts and crunches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back